User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bad news : nepenthes viking extinction ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Joe. And I have to apologize all in this forum. I've just realized that I misunderstood the meaning of "extinct" because of my skin-deep English knowledge. I thought this word meant " disappear from the original homeland" . What I tried to communicate is " Tsunami might destroy all the Viking in their homeland , so if you grow ones , please take care of them well . In the future we may need to co-operate to propagate by advance technology and bring them back to their homeland."
    There are some Vikings in the mainland but experts believe they are not "pure blood" (sorry , I can't find the proper word) because they have short necks , probably mixed with thorel. or mirabilis on mainland.
    This is the first Tsunami Thai people in this generation have experienced. We have no idea of its powerful destructive capability too. But in some small Islands ,all plants , coconut tree , weed , even soil surface are wiped out. So we think it may happens to the Viking Island as well. Moreover , sea water flooded and the soil submerge , underground water may be salty which is very dangerous for Nepenthes rooting sysem. Vikings have big rhizomes but short root , how long can they tolerate till new rainy season comes. This is a scientific topic that I 'm unable to share idea.
    Nong_Thailand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is sad that this plant my be gone but even sadder the devistation throughout Asia. I have been reading the news reports, the more I read the harder it is to read on. My heart aches for everyone who is suffering due to this huge natural disaster!

My brother in law lives in Thailand but fortunately in the North. Nong, I hope your extended family and friends are safe.

Anyone who can spare some $ should donate to a reputable relief agency. This may be one of the worlds costliest (sp?) disasters to date.

Peace
    Glenn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Dec. 28 2004,7:35)]Things that cause extinction are not supposed to happen in our lifetime.
    Unfortunately, Joe, human activity of "taming the wilderness" or pursuing "progress" is producing large numbers of extinctions during our lifetime. Natural processes, such as this horrible tsunami, are a smaller threat to the planet's living creatures than we are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all:

I agree with BobZ: a detonation of an atomic bomb (just for the sake of testing as it occurred in the south pacific several of years ago), may cause more earthquakes and tsunamis.

Human intervention is our worst enemy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether or not this event has lead to an extinction of this variety remains to be seen. I would add that it is likely this population of plants would have seen a tsunami of this magnitude in the past, these sort of things happen every couple of hundred years or even more often. In the many thousands of years that 'Viking' has been growing in such a low-lying areas, it is likely this has happened before and they've survived. Growing so close to the sea, they're probably reasonably salt-tolerant (as can be seen in one variety of Australian mirabilis that grows on cliffs by the sea, with regular sea spray). Also, they've got very tough root systems on them, so it may not be a complete annihilation.
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beyond the kindly donated money , what Asia and perhaps Thailand need most and urgently is blood donation. We all Thai can donate and are donating blood but some rare type such as Rh group for European and American tourists are very shortage. Some Caucasian tourist patients are in ICU waiting for specific blood. So pitiful to watch them lie hopelessly in local hospitals. Yesterday H.M.S. crowned Princess Maha Chakri Sirinthorn, executive vice president of the Thai Red Cross Society, has sent emails to several embassies seeking blood donations for tsunami victims in the southern provinces The princess went to Red Cross and e-mail to all Embasst to explain how crucial the rare blood type shortage situation is. The Princess has also solicited the cooperation of the Thai hotel associations in urging foreigner guests to donate blood to foreign victims of last Sunday's tsunami disaster. Most of the injured were foreign tourists enjoying holidays in Thailand's beaches.
    The director of Thai Red Cross explained that there's a shortage of Rh-negative blood, which some 15 percent of Westerners have as against only four in 1,000 Thais.
    Another official said the centre had delivered 17 units of Rh-negative blood out of the 44 units requested by southern hospitals on Monday and expects to complete the order today. Further requests for blood are likely, though
    So far more than 50 Westerners have volunteered to donate blood and we should have several more later today.
    Persuade your friends and contact Thai Embassy in your country for blood donation is the most important now to save the lives of ones who may be your acquaintances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm, any other species get completely wiped out, I hope that not all the species were affecxted
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evolution of species can be very specialized sometimes that's why they are restricted to specific niches. If the evolution of Vikings took hundreds of years, then perhaps it'll come back again. But if it was just a newly evolved species, the adaptation to its new environment have been put to the test for the first time or for the first and last time.

Adaptability is what determines which one will survive and which one will die!. how can measure that, remains to be determined.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast