User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bad news : nepenthes viking extinction ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I have a couple of different male plants that I know of and a couple that haven't flowered yet. Half way there. I crossed the males with a nice N. ampullaria x either mirabilis or rafflesiana from the south near where the N. "Viking" are found. Hope it turns out ok.
    Truly,
    Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom,
    That Thai ampullaria natural hybrid sounds pretty interesting. Does it look like a N. xHookeriana?

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Nong @ Dec. 29 2004,1:48)]This evening I heard a lot of news with deep regret.More than 20,000 fishing families have been severely affected by the tsunami which ravaged six southern coastal provinces on Sunday. One of those families is one whom I was so worried about because their humble cottage was 15 meters from the beach.Bung Kasem , his wife and two children were whom I tried to make contact by phone since the disaster. The line returned no signal everytime .I just knew why this afternoon.Half of the village was swept out to sea . Their cottage with bodies were found under 5 feet deep sand and mud . Bung Kasem was the one who took picture of Viking in the wild for me . He helpt me collect data of Vikings in their natural habitat .
    Late evening , a call from Phang_Nga province again. Nearly all area of plainland on the Island where Vikings grew are covered with sea mud.
    Till now , the death toll rose sharply yesterday to 1,657 with 8,954 injured and 4,086 still missing and there are still many dead bodies waiting to be removed. The Navy officer believes there are no more survivors left on the islands in Andaman sea. Many coastal villages and resorts now nothing more than mud-covered and rubble blanketed with the stench of rotting bodies.
    Sorry.
    Let me share with the idea that if the plants are growing in this spot, they might have been hit more than once with this kind of phenomenon. The statistic from Thailand's Mineral Resources Department shows the earthquake that sent tidal waves crashing into southern Thailand on Sunday was the worst one to affect the country in 459 years. And to review the history of our country , no phenomenon of any Tsunami like disasters had ever been recorded 600 years back. No legend , folktales or any literatures of Tsunami-like disaster while there are few about earthshakes and a lot of monsoons . Or I can say , this is the first Tsunami ever recorded in Thai history.
    Just an input for discussion.Anyway , I still believe the plants will survive and recover with the help of mother nature.It may take a month to explore the real situation and I have a lot to do meanwhile .I will join the forum again . Thanks for all.
    Nong
    So sorry you lost your friend and his family
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too am saddened by the horrific tsunami. I have been to Pattaya Beach Thailand twice and Sattahip Thailand while in the Navy. So many people have lost so much.

I planted the relatively common species N. mirabilis location: Phuket Thailand that I received from the ICPS seedbank. I was fortunate to have four seedlings growing and will protect them and propagate them to the best of my ability. I hope others are doing the same.

Kirk Martin
    Fitchburg, MA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trent,
    The Thai hybrid looks like one of those "C" grade N. "Viking" but with a lid smaller like N. ampullaria. One is brown speckled and the other from Satoon has a green/pink trap color but gets bigger than the average N. ampullaria. I have small plants I crossed it with a N. mirabilis type with a fat peristome
    and good red color. Hope something turns out good.
    Truly,
    Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm...

It seems to me that this area, given that it's right next to massive amounts of volcanic/tectonic activity, would have been subject to tsunamis many times over the millenia. Is there a reason why this tsunami would have caused the extinction? Why didn't one of the others? What makes you believe that they're truly extinct?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that's the thing. We have never experienced anything like this, so we will have to wait and see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,
    Thanks for your kindness. I have chance to ask an Islander to take pics. of Viking Island after Tsunami for me yesterday by my digital.So pics. came out clearer and also clearly showed the damage of the natural habitat of this marvelous Nepenthes . The salty powerful wave invade 1 km. from the shore and the savannah where wild Vikings grew were severely destroyed.Small plants ,herbs , shrubs ,vines were mostly killed directly by the power of waves.[img]C:\èѡ\personal Picture\Tsunami1.jpg[/img]

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast