User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad news : nepenthes viking extinction ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,
    I've just finished my "Interview with the Viking expert of Thailand".Then came quake and Tsunami . Probably ,these may cause the extinction of Nepenthes Viking .Local man in Phang-Nga I am contacting says Vikings might be swept into the ocean because they grow in area only 2 acres of savanna-like plainland at sea level. No one dare going out to explore. One of the experts in Thailand believes this Island is the only place where Vikings grow , or at least the best original Vikings grow.
    Massive waves triggered by the largest earthquake to shake the planet in more than 40 years have wiped out coastal areas across parts of Asia, killing more than 11,000 people . Most of the Islands in Andaman sea included the remote small Island where Vikings grow were heavily damanged. Some were completely gone.
    It is the fourth-largest earthquake since such measurements began in 1899, according to the NEIC, tying with a 1952 quake in Kamchatka, Russia.
    Vikings Island is in Adaman sea - The sea famous to all tourists by its beautiful beaches located on coastal area of Phuket and Phang - Nga provinces.One witness said Phuket's famed Laguna Beach resort area is "completely gone." The area provided 40 percent of Thailand's $10 billion annual income from tourism. Among the missing scuba divers who had been exploring
    the Emerald Cave off Phuket's coast was the grandchild of King Bhumiphol and Queen Sirikit.
    Bad news on New Year holiday.
    Nong , Thailand.
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_o_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Extinct in nature or completely extinct? Is there anyone who's growing specimens of it? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry , I meant in nature. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nong,
    We thought of you when we heard about the tsunami. Glad to hear from you and that you are safe. The devastation is extremely sad news. The loss of life, both people and plants is immeasurable. The economic damage will be felt for years. Mother nature can seem cruel.
    Take care and keep in touch,
    Trent and Michelle
    PS: Thanks for the Interview translation, we enjoy it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Mr. Nong:

I am deeply saddened by the loss of life (both human and plant life). I think it'll take some time before everything goes back to normal [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    If i am not mistaken you should be growing the Vikings in captivity and now your duty to preserve this species has become a top 1 priority.

we were excited when you first introduced this species to the forums and now saddened by the bad news.

Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update News.
    The death toll from Sunday’s tsunami – which slammed into coasts from Indonesia to Somalia – climbed to more than 24,000 yesterday, with Thailand expressing fear that 2,000 people or more may have died here . About 900 people have been confirmed killed but more than 1,000 others are still missing and we expect the death toll to reach 2,000,
    The body count grew horrifically fast as rescue workers found dead Westerners, Asians and Thais – many with broken necks, arms and legs. Felled trees, smashed vehicles and toppled buildings littered the ground in many areas. The giant waves – caused by the most powerful earthquake for 40 years – left tens of thousands injured, thousands missing and hundreds of thousands homeless in Indonesia, India, Sri Lanka and Thailand.
    the body of Khun Poom Jensen, the grandson of His Majesty the King, was found yesterday at a beach resort in Phang Nga that had been pounded by tidal waves on Sunday.
    The earthquake registering 9.0 on the Richter scale triggered the wall of water up to 10 metres high that fanned out across the Bay of Bengal. Huge waves hurled fishing boats onto roads, flattened houses, sent cars spinning through swirling waters into hotel lobbies and sucked sunbathers, babies and fishermen out to sea. The tsunami spared no one. Western tourists were killed as they sunbathed on the beach, poor villagers were drowned in their seaside homes and fishermen died in flimsy boats.
    The Meteorological Department yesterday warned people to stay away from beaches after a 6.6 magnitude aftershock prompted fears that another round of disastrously high waves may be in the offing.
    Video recorded by a tourist who was on Phi-Phi Island , an Island of Paradise in Andaman sea, demonstrated the destructive power of Tsunami on the Island. However , Phi-Phi Island was not completely gone as rumored .

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Nong @ Dec. 28 2004,1:09)]Update News.
    The death toll from Sunday’s tsunami – which slammed into coasts from Indonesia to Somalia – climbed to more than 24,000 yesterday, with Thailand expressing fear that 2,000 people or more may have died here . About 900 people have been confirmed killed but more than 1,000 others are still missing and we expect the death toll to reach 2,000,
    The body count grew horrifically fast as rescue workers found dead Westerners, Asians and Thais – many with broken necks, arms and legs. Felled trees, smashed vehicles and toppled buildings littered the ground in many areas. The giant waves – caused by the most powerful earthquake for 40 years – left tens of thousands injured, thousands missing and hundreds of thousands homeless in Indonesia, India, Sri Lanka and Thailand.
    the body of Khun Poom Jensen, the grandson of His Majesty the King, was found yesterday at a beach resort in Phang Nga that had been pounded by tidal waves on Sunday.
    The earthquake registering 9.0 on the Richter scale triggered the wall of water up to 10 metres high that fanned out across the Bay of Bengal. Huge waves hurled fishing boats onto roads, flattened houses, sent cars spinning through swirling waters into hotel lobbies and sucked sunbathers, babies and fishermen out to sea. The tsunami spared no one. Western tourists were killed as they sunbathed on the beach, poor villagers were drowned in their seaside homes and fishermen died in flimsy boats.
    The Meteorological Department yesterday warned people to stay away from beaches after a 6.6 magnitude aftershock prompted fears that another round of disastrously high waves may be in the offing.
    Video recorded by a tourist who was on Phi-Phi Island , an Island of Paradise in Andaman sea, demonstrated the destructive power of Tsunami on the Island. However , Phi-Phi Island was not completely gone as rumored .
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nong,

I have to admit I was dubious that the Viking could be wiped out, but in the middle of the US, it is really hard to visualize this force of Nature(makes a tornado seem like a mild Spring zephyr). I have not been able to watch any news to see any footage. Things that cause extinction are not supposed to happen in our lifetime.
    Anyways, I am glad you are safe, and if the worse has occured, hopefully there are enough plants in cultivation to get them started again in Nature.

Cheers,

Joe

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast