User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone grow nepenthes in unfavorable conditions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all:

It'd be interesting if people experiment with more tolerant lowlands and report to the forums. So far, N. campanulata adjusts very well to colder conditions to the extent that it pitchers. If i am not mistaken, N. albomarginata var rubra is more of an intermediate plant. N. truncata (typical lowland form) does well under cold conditions.

Are there any others we can play with?

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ones that may/will suffer or die are ampullaria, and bical.
    I grew a rafflesiana on my windowsill for a few months, and it seemed content.
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've finished my large chamber for my bical, amp, rafflesiana 99 clone, and a hummer's giant. The internal temperature is approx 70-85F depending on outside temps and the humidity is 85%. The chamber is 4ft X 2.5ft and is lit by two 40w T12 lights. Air flow is done by an air pump in the water and two holes on the roof in addition to the space between the door hinges. Some of the growth look funny from being cramped in a 50gal aquarium for so long. It took me awhile to finish due to school work etc. plus I wanted my plants to have at least a couple of months to adjust to open covers and low humidity/temps. Everything is looking good, moved them in Friday. Everything looks a little artificial since my baskets, bench, and floor are made of plastic grids. I find repotting to be easier since I can just cut the wire ties and remove the grid or I can just place the entire thing into a larger grid basket. The Amp actually has long roots that are coming out so I should repot it soon. Oh, just in case anyone wants to know, my substrate is pure New Zealand long fiber sphagnum topped with live. I'll probably cover the exposed plastic areas with sphagnum to make it look more natural and jungle like.

Here's the Chamber located in the back of the kitchen, the surrounding is still messy since I had to move some stuff:

And here are the plants:

Red Flush

Amp

Amp (Whole Plant w/ roots at bottom)

Bical, Rafflesiana, Amp

Hummer's Giant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

You need to post the plans for that thing... I'm inspired. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

How'd you waterproof it? What kind of plastic sheeting is that?

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that plastic crate stuff is great! Works for soo many things.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mostly just glued it with clear tub caulk. In the ceph pic you can see the air tube running into a water reserve that is secured below the entire chamber. The heater is located there and the floor is slanted so water will drip into the reserve. The plastic is just plain "I don't know" plastic that I bought at OSH, nothing special, just thick plastic. The bottom had a few leaks but the problem was fixed. As for the plan, there was a general sketch of size and design but I improvised most of it since many factors had to be taken into account. The wood was painted white over and over again, I think three or four times.

Edit: Yes crates are great, a pain to cut though.
    Edit again: Anyone think 2 40w lights is too much? I could just take one out. What's the electricity usage for something like that?

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless your using HID you aren't likely to overdo lighting. I personally in my new chamber have 80wtts of blue-ish spectrum (white light) and 100wtts of red spectrum. This is in a 48gl tall/ 1/4 octagon. As for consumption.

Find out your local cost perKwatt hour and multiply it by how many hours you will run power a day and multiply again by number of days in month and that'll be your cost per month for running .

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicely built.

Do you mean a single shoplight with 2, 40 watt tubes? If so I would add at least one more fixture, if not 2 more for a total of 6 tubes.

I am also wondering on the Ceph. Seems like the chamber leans more towards lowland? Cephalotus are not really a tropical lowland plant. Think your going to have to watch it doesn't get too warm and moist and cause a disease problem with the Ceph.

Tony

Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast