User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone grow nepenthes in unfavorable conditions?

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like they've been that way for a while so I'd let 'em be. But yeah, I don't think I'd have put 'em in there in the first place. Looks good man.

Do what you do
    Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been thinking about the ceph also. But my chamber will probably never reach beyond 85F during the day since it is designed to release warm, humid air at the top. It's nothing like my old tank which was so stagnant it smell extremely bad and it reached over 90F once. Now the average temperature is almost at 80, probably around 78F day and 70 night. Summer temps I'm expecting to be up in the mid 80's during the day and 79-80F nights. I usually mist daily just to keep humidity up and keep the air moving. I'm amazed that for a chamber with 80%+ humidity, the leaves of my plants look completely dry.

Man I need more lights although I don't think I can afford the monthly bills if I have six tubes. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have it but my electricity bill was at $190 this time around. I, not having a job, would feel wrong to further push the consumption of power upon my parents. But to make anyone who cares to feel better, my plants grew with only two 15w tubes in the 50gal when I was suppose to have four 40w already according to D'amato's book. They grew just fine for some reason, good coloring and nice leaves. They will just have to make do with what they have for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you can raise them up so they are sitting closer to the lights? It's not an ideal solution but would help.

Rough estimate on cost since I don't know what kind of ballast is in your light so not sure how many watts it uses. Estimate around 100 per hour for a 2 tube 4' shoplight. Will estimate energy cost at .15 per kwatt.

14hrs x 100 = 1400 watts/day or 1.4kwatts x .15 = .21 cents/day x 30days = $6.30 dollars/month in electricity.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .15 ? Wow! I think right now my local is .067 per Kwatt.
    Yeah, my power is way up too. I think my last bill was in that same neighborhood-Rediculous! I run a ton of lights and pumps, etc... My new chamber right now is using about 250wtts total-lights, heat, rain system.

If you are under someone elses roof then I suppose you should be careful of your consumption, though as Tony figured per month it would equal about 2-3 packs of cigarettes or a six pack (pop or beer/ age depending) give up something else and pick up lights instead. I am married and pay my own bills and still have to give up one to get another sometimes. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img] It'll never end

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what my power costs off the top of my head. It is different for the house vs the greenhouse. Think it was around .10 for our house. I tried to be excessive on the estimate. Better to over estimate a bit than underestimate when considering costs! Some parts of the country are even a little higher than .15 but I figured that was a safe point to use.

Interesting if you plug in .10 vs .15 changes the total to $4.20/month
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. When I finally get that job (still looking) I'll start paying for part of the bill. At least a quarter of that money is probably from me; iguana, aquariums, plants... I'll see how it goes, if they start showing signs of deformed growth or bad coloring then I'll add more lights. All of them except the amp and ceph sit about a foot above the floor so they're around 6 inches below the light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cprus,
    Luckily the Neps (excluding the Ceph) that you are owning belong to the few that can be found in somewhat shady habitats in nature, so it might be just ok.
    Happy growing, Volker
    http://pitcher-plants.com/bannersmall.jpg Manila, Philippines, Elev: 80 m, 24-33 C

Tropical outdoor growers: Please visit our Carnivorous Plants in the tropics forum

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123