What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't see much of this plant...

Nepenthes burkei. I remember trying to compare a so-called N. burkei and N. ventricosa without seeing any features that separates them from each other. It was no surprise when I found a pic of what seems to be the real N. burkei.
Here's a link to a Japanese grower's website, which hosts a very nice gallery of plants.
I was wondering to myself that this plant doesn't get much attention (as far as I know). Does anyone actually grow this species in the US or Europe (I wouldn't be surprised if Tony P. does)? I personally find this plant to be one of the most beautiful I've seen so far. I don't know about everyone else, but I think this plant deserves more attention!

Amori

I know of no one who does, and that is one cool looking plant.

Try to search for 'burkei' on this forum. Especially this link is quite interesting...

Regards, Volker

Peter at CA carnivors has one.... I forgot if it was male or female though.

For the longest time.. many clones of N. ventricosa were running around as N. burkei (and still are). Ch'ien posted a photo of what appears to be N. burkei in the wild (link Volker posted). Exotica has had for a long time a N. burkei which is I believe, what is pictured on that Japanese site. It does look much more like the photo Ch'ien posted as opposed to a red N. ventricosa. Particularly in the angle of the pitcher opening, and is probably the real deal. I do have the Exotica plant but have yet to get a good lower pitcher on it for comparison.

Tony

Wow what a great looking plant,i can see where people would think of ventricosa being it it,nice looking that is for sure.
Bye for now Julian

Back