Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: N. maxima - new guinea?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

many thanks to all for your answers. Especially the plant of Michelle and Trent looks very similar. I got this plant in september 2002 from Thomas Alt who visited the natural habitats quite often. I don't know where he got the seed for this plant from. Here are some detail of the peristome Tony was asking for:

[img]http://home.**********.com/users/joachim/N_maxima_090104_A.jpg[/img]

[img]http://home.**********.com/users/joachim/N_maxima_090104_C.jpg[/img]

Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh interesting Joachim. I don't know if I would consider those little teeth sticking out as originating from N. bicalcarata. Usually when N. bicalcarata is in a hybrid the peristome elongates and projects foward right where the 2 teeth would have been but they are more fused and it is a gradual progression outward. Those appear fairly distinct.

Perhaps there was just a mix up with labels or something, since I would think if it is such a hybrid that it would not be something found in New Guinea!

I will try and have a close look at my N. maxima from various locations and various ages, as well as some N. bicalcarata hybrids if they have pitchers.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, Tony, you’re right on with bical. The hybrid we showed before is N. bicalcarata x rafflesiana.
    Tony wrote “Usually when N. bicalcarata is in a hybrid the peristome elongates and projects foward right where the 2 teeth would have been but they are more fused and it is a gradual progression outward. Those appear fairly distinct.”

Not always. We see variation from plant to plant within the same grex. Here is a seedling of N. bical –red x (spectabilis x northiana). The fangs are almost not visible.

Where as the siblings of the same cross show differing degrees of “fangs” -these are also N. bical –red x (spectabilis x northiana).

Then, for a primary hybrid, the photo below is a close up of one of our N. bical-red x northiana with two “fangs” trying to appear.

Sometimes the “fangs” on these hybrids do fuse and remind me of the upper neck part of the peristome on N. rafflesiana. The mother plant or pod parent of the hybrids shown above is N. bicalcarata. On Joachim’s plant, there is definitely something on the top of the peristome. Could it be a mislabeled bical hybrid? May be the N. bicalcarata is the father or pollen parent or even a grandparent - though the leaves look like very much like bical. From our own trials, it is very easy to have labels mixed up. We’ve never seen a maxima with any fangs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I agree that there will be different degrees of fang showing in a hybrid. Joachims plant looks more like the peristome has been turned out at the top so that the teeth are just project foward at that point. There are other teeth below the uppermost that are not quite so turned out and not projecting foward as much. Each tooth is fairly distinct though and not significantly larger than the it's neighbor, which you would get with N. bicalcarata in there. I agree the leaf and growth habit sure looks N. bicalcarata-ish. Joachim sure needs to chat with the originator. Maybe he has other plants in his collection and can recognize it quickly.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12