Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pest problem..help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not seen this in a loooong time. One of my tanks has broken out in those little tiny white guys that look like minute white rods. The N. "ile de France" seems like the focal point(95% on that one), but I have a sumatrana doing very well in there also.
    What is the recommended pesticide these days?

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my greenhouse at home I have used Orthene (acephate) with good results. At the University greenhouse, we do not use chemical pesticides and have relied on biologic controls with limited success. I have been unable to successfully grow Heliamphora, Sarracenia, D. scorpioides, and several other CPs in the University greenhouse, because they are continually and severely attacked by thrips.

There are a number of good Web resources on the control of thrips, such as
    http://www.agnr.umd.edu/users/ipmnet/thrips.htm
    but some are a bit silly. For example
    http://steverd.com/violets/thrips.htm
    suggests
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Natural controls:
    Try Sundew or Butterworts plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sundews and butterworts do work, but you need a LOT of them in relation to the pest problem. If you have a 50 gallon tank as your chamber, you should fill every abailable nook with a dew or a ping to really make a difference. I solved my fungus gnat problem that way. Pings looked like I had up-ended a pepper shaker on them!
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Orthene sounds about right. Thanks guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I regularly get the WFT's in my greenhouse and keep them well under control or eliminated per plant using Superfine
    Hort. oil. It's mild enough to use on most everything without the toxic effects. A good covering every 3-4 days for at least
    three times should show results. Remember they also hide in the cracks around the plant. Be sure not to spray with direct sunlight on the foilage otherwise it will probably burn the plant.
    Truly,
    Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I guess when I stop somwwhere, I will see if they have that too. Thanks, Tom!

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe,
    Sounds more like whitefly than thrips. The little white dots are actually capsules. If you look closely they are shaped like tiny tic-tacs. Remove them with a mixture of water and alcohol 50/50, with a drop of liquid soap to about a shot glass of the water/alcohol mixture. Scrub the little varments off with a cotton swab. This will get rid of the capsules, but the adults, which appear as small white flies, are lurching in the potting mix, where they go to mate and produce an additional generation of little white capsules! This happens on about a ten day cycle, so they can quickly decimate your N. 'Ile de France'. This is where a Nepenthes friendly insecticide is useful. Like Tom suggested, Orthene is very good, and may require repeated spraying about two weeks apart. Also, Malathion 50 as a wettable powder is also an effective topical spray. Unfortunately, they both smell horrible. Once the whitefly is seemingly eradicated, you can use Neem Oil as a preventative, but alone, it's not enough to stop the pests.
    Whitefly has a strange preference for a certain plant, and will encrust it if left alone, never touching the plant next to it.
    Good luck!

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trent,

I think you are right on what they may be. I tried some online searching, and that comes closest, though I could not find a pic that looks just like this.
    Smell, schmell, I want them eradicated!

Thanks,

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast