What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some neps

OK here are more pics...still workin out the kinks.

IMG_0150.sized.jpg

Spotted Ampullaria from California Carnivores, I have had it for a year and its been growing like crazy, it has something like 4 basal shoots. Ill try to get a good picture of the climbing vine it has.

IMG_0146.sized.jpg

close up

IMG_0148.sized.jpg

N. Albomarginata also from California Carnivores, It has a long climbing vine as well.

IMG_0144.sized.jpg

N. Bicalcarata 'Red Flush' from Cooks Carnivores, that little black thing on the pitcher is an ant exploring the new pitcher

IMG_0147.sized.jpg

D. Pectinoides. I thought you all woudl like my little ant plant, which in fact houses my ant colony
smile.gif

Hope you like

Nice pics! I have that same amp from CC. Isn't it a great one? Mine grows like crazy in pretty much household conditions, and makes 4 inch pitchers, even though it's in cool temperatures. It's also survived some considerable neglect, so it's a real hardy clone, as well as good looking.

Capslock

Yes, that ampullaria clone is very pretty!

Yes, it is a beautiful clone and will take a beating. I put it outside under some white gauze with our strawberries during the hot southern summers (north carolina) and it got burnt pretty bad, but it came RIGHT back when I brought it back inside. Here are more pics of the vines of both N. Ampularia and N. Albomarginata.

IMG_0156.sized.jpg

IMG_0158.sized.jpg

Arms Reaching for light! The amp has made it to the second level of the chamber, making a bridge up top for the ants.

IMG_0159.sized.jpg

ant

IMG_0152.sized.jpg

N. Albomarginata

IMG_0153.sized.jpg

made it to the top!

Diggin the plants man! I can't wait until my N. x Ventrata reaches the top of my greenhouse (still got 4 feet to go).

my amp looks the same as yours but must not be as hardy as it doesnt like normal household conditions, it likes it hot and really humid. i wish it would start making basal pitchers. it and my bical x amp are in a contest on who can make the bigger pitcher even though the hybrid is half the size of the amp.

Lovely pics.
How high is that grow chamber?

Don't your plants eat all the ants from the ant colony by the way?
biggrin.gif

The chamber is 3 feet tall, two tears, the first tear is egg crate on a wood frame so light goes to the bottom. The ants are still hangin around, they multiply quite fast and move around a lot. I feed them as well. They are very amazing creatures, I recomend finding an anthill and just sit and observe their behaviour.

IMG_0182.sized.jpg

Feeding time. They LOVE frozen crickets, and of course Nep dew.:p

Haha awesome. You've got like a whole ecosystem in there.
laugh.gif

Do you also manually feed the Nepenthes with crickets?

And how about the ants, does every nepenthes pitcher catches a good amount or do you notice any clear differences between pitchers and the ants inside?

Yes, I manually feed every newly opened pitcher, also the ants loveee the nectar from a new pitcher and ive looked in to find a mass grave of drowned ants. So the plants will get a cricket and some ants, they all grow well I havnt done any tests. I feed my ceph an ant or two...but thats it, it may catch ants on its own but Im not sure.

I've been meaning to buy a lot of crickets and breed them for lunch purposes, but i want to wait until my plants can eat them fast enought.
smile_m_32.gif

Right now i just feed each pitcher a pillbug from my backyard every so often, they catch a TON of ants though.

Back