Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to build a hanging box?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed whenever someone posts a picture of Nepenthes in a botanical garden or conservatory somewhere, you typically see some of them hanging in these square wooden boxes with a lot of room between the slats.

Does anyone have plans on how to build these things? (i.e. type of wood, moisture sealing, optimal spacing of the gaps, etc.) Or does anyone know what they're technically called so I can get some more success in finding them on Google?

Thanks a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they are a type of orchid basket. You can also get plastic netted orchid or aquatic plant baskets and make a hanger of some sort for those.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to experiment (if my time and motivation ever happen to coinside, lol) with using the plastic netting you get potatoes in. Hey, worth a shot.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a thread on here that's full of the boxes I'm talking about.

http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=13751

They look simple enough... I'm just wondering if the type of wood is important and how to moisture-proof it without hurting the plant... that sort of thing.

One made with bamboo would look very cool I bet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally in the past those were made of teak wood but I think nowadays it probably cedar. I don't think you can use just any old pine lumber as it will probably mold/rot.

Don't use bamboo! I tried that with my N. rajah when it was young, I put it in a manufactured bamboo pot but after about six to eight months the pot got all moldy/fungusy and eventually fell apart.

If you can't find the wood baskets at a local orchid nursery look for a Bachmann's flowershop. Year round they sell a 10" or 12" round plastic "aquatic plant pot/net pot" which is a plastic pot full of holes, these pots rule! Especially for highlanders, I wouldn't suggest the net pots for lowlanders as they allow for too much evaporation from the soil and many lowlanders like to be very moist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use one of these for my N. alata. It seems to like it, but I have to watch out that it doesn't dry out. I think the larger ones would be more forgiving.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess thin openings would be ideal... but there isn't really a way to control the gap/wood ratio, is there? Just the nature of the design.

I'm told that cedar and redwood don't need to be treated at all for this sort of thing, so that's good (yeah, I don't know much about the subject).

I'm still trying to figure out how I should put it together. There isn't much space in those corners to put screws... and I can't put a screw through one slat only to run into the head of the screw below. Can anyone with one of these boxes see easily how it's put together? I don't think even a strong glue would be a good idea with a big plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the best way to put it together would to drill holes in the corners of each wood piece, then use a long stainless bolt and hold it together in that way. I wanted to chang all my plants to these type of "pots" but after using one I know it would be alot of work keeping the plants well watered.... especially if you have alot!
    https://www.instagram.com/hull.jess/ (I post pics of my plants there)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast