Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes from lowes

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the most recent photo, taken from the summer. I hope to have more pics, via a forgetful co-worker by February.

Is there a reason why places like Botanical Wonders can't be more specific than writing "Tropical Pitcher Plant" or "Sweet..." or "Purple..." or "Sundew Species"? Obviously, a Lowes and Home Depot worker won't know anything, but certainly the grower or supplier should know what they are sending to the garden places. I bought a "Sweet Pitcher Plant" that turned out to have the fenestrations of a leucophylla. Which kind of leuco it is, I couldn't tell you. It resembles pics of Tarnoks I have seen. It's frustrating and embarrassing to say you have one thing, only to find out you have something different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They buy their packaging and labels in huge lots to shave every penny off production. Supplies from their labs and other wholesale plug producers are not always consistent in what they have available. Big retail chains want a steady supply of product for their shelves...

Bottom line is use general packaging so you can just stick whatever you can get from your suppliers into it and keep the retail chains happy.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also most cp enthusiests buy their plants from reputable dealers like our own Tony Parobek. Places like Lowe's are selling to the general public who are looking for a sundew or pitcher plant as a general oddity to add to their plant collection.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Jan. 17 2005,1:11)]Also most cp enthusiests buy their plants from reputable dealers like our own Tony Parobek. Places like Lowe's are selling to the general public who are looking for a sundew or pitcher plant as a general oddity to add to their plant collection.

Cheers,

Joe
    what he said....

I was at lowes about a few months ago looking at the orchids and a lady and her daughter were looking at the little neps in the cups. They thought it was a wierd plant, they thought the pitchers were fruit ///
    https://www.instagram.com/hull.jess/ (I post pics of my plants there)

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is unfortunate because most people get their start with CP's from places like these, with inadequate care instructions. Within a few weeks to months their VFT or whatever dies from tap water poisoning and/or lack of air circulation and/or.... and that kills their interest. I know... I lived that legacy. If it weren't for personal pride of not letting anything defeat me, I wouldn't have subjected myself to the pursuit of keeping a VFT alive for more than 3 months. They can at least leave one small instruction about the use of distilled water and something about open tray....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree with jim their stuff should be better labeled, as botanicla wonders doesnt list what type of butterworts or nepenthes it is, instead just listing genus nepenthes or what not and i do think thats not fair to the buyer, and also there should better care instructions instead of generic instructions, youd think theyd be on top of this so more people would buy stuff and not kill it off right away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sometimes lowes will get N. x Miranda, or N. Coccinea but they would be in hanging baskets, and very large
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kirk,
    But I bet your hear soars whenever you see them still, huh?

Cheers,

Joe

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast