Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes from lowes

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Jan. 16 2005,2:47)]Jimscott, thats not an N. ventriocosa, looks like a young N. sanguinea to me, deff. not N. ventricosa though.
    Yeah, it didn't look like a ventricosa to me either.

Quote (jimscott @ Jan. 17 2005,6:16)
    It's frustrating and embarrassing to say you have one thing, only to find out you have something different.

Ah yes, I know the feeling well.

Quote (Flip_Side_the_Pint @ Jan. 17 2005,8:31)
    I was at lowes about a few months ago looking at the orchids and a lady and her daughter were looking at the little neps in the cups. They thought it was a wierd plant, they thought the pitchers were fruit ///

LMFAO

jimscotscoot, I'm the exact same way... which is why I kept at CPs even after my first VFT died from root rot. I will not be defeated. I'm stubborn like that.

EDIT: combined posts, Flytrapgurl, don't spam the topic like that, combine your posts to save space, especially for replies like this. Thanks

Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok so i ended up going back and purchasing one, and for the types mentioned above, when i go to repot what sort of mix should i use for it? and just plant it in say a 4" pot with drainage holes? also what kind of photoperiod do they like? 14 hours or more?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey no use... Most neps appreciate Long Fibered Spagnum moss as the base for their medium...Many are happy in pure LFS. I usually throw in a handfull of orchid mix to add some chunk and help the mix with aeration. A plastic pot with drainage wholes is fine, though the size will depend on the plant. Use your judgement on that one. 14 hours is good if you're going to use artificial lighting, at least in the winter....try experimenting with increasing the photo period as the days lengthen.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok thanks alot schloaty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have gotten these from lowes:
    N. x. 'holland hybrid'
    N. x. morganiana
    N. alata
    N. miranda
    I have seen:
    N. ventrata
    N. ventracosa
    N. coccacina (or whatever that lame plant is called)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tre, When you obtained those plants from Lowes were they labeled as N. xmorganiana, N. 'Holland Hybrid', and N. alata?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wondering the same thing, lol. N. x morganiana is a lovely hybrid. It would almost certainly have to be somebodyselling rooted cuttings to Lowe's for that to be there.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Jan. 27 2005,3:47)]Hey no use... Most neps appreciate Long Fibered Spagnum moss as the base for their medium...Many are happy in pure LFS. I usually throw in a handfull of orchid mix to add some chunk and help the mix with aeration. A plastic pot with drainage wholes is fine, though the size will depend on the plant. Use your judgement on that one. 14 hours is good if you're going to use artificial lighting, at least in the winter....try experimenting with increasing the photo period as the days lengthen.
    ok well ive spent alot of money recently and cant go out and buy another thing such as orchid mix, but i do have some new zealand lfs, sphagnum peat moss, perlite, silica sand, and i also have charcoal, is there a suitable mix i can just make with what i have?

thanks
    edit: also i was wondering if i posted a pic if you guys may have an idea of which type it is? it has one very tiny pitcher starting on it so i dunno if it would help or not

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast