What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes from lowes

This is unfortunate because most people get their start with CP's from places like these, with inadequate care instructions. Within a few weeks to months their VFT or whatever dies from tap water poisoning and/or lack of air circulation and/or.... and that kills their interest. I know... I lived that legacy. If it weren't for personal pride of not letting anything defeat me, I wouldn't have subjected myself to the pursuit of keeping a VFT alive for more than 3 months. They can at least leave one small instruction about the use of distilled water and something about open tray....

i agree with jim their stuff should be better labeled, as botanicla wonders doesnt list what type of butterworts or nepenthes it is, instead just listing genus nepenthes or what not and i do think thats not fair to the buyer, and also there should better care instructions instead of generic instructions, youd think theyd be on top of this so more people would buy stuff and not kill it off right away

sometimes lowes will get N. x Miranda, or N. Coccinea but they would be in hanging baskets, and very large

Kirk,
But I bet your hear soars whenever you see them still, huh?

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Jan. 16 2005,2:47)]Jimscott, thats not an N. ventriocosa, looks like a young N. sanguinea to me, deff. not N. ventricosa though.
Yeah, it didn't look like a ventricosa to me either.

Quote (jimscott @ Jan. 17 2005,6:16)
It's frustrating and embarrassing to say you have one thing, only to find out you have something different.

Ah yes, I know the feeling well.

Quote (Flip_Side_the_Pint @ Jan. 17 2005,8:31)
I was at lowes about a few months ago looking at the orchids and a lady and her daughter were looking at the little neps in the cups. They thought it was a wierd plant, they thought the pitchers were fruit ///

LMFAO

jimscotscoot, I'm the exact same way... which is why I kept at CPs even after my first VFT died from root rot. I will not be defeated. I'm stubborn like that.

EDIT: combined posts, Flytrapgurl, don't spam the topic like that, combine your posts to save space, especially for replies like this. Thanks

ok so i ended up going back and purchasing one, and for the types mentioned above, when i go to repot what sort of mix should i use for it? and just plant it in say a 4" pot with drainage holes? also what kind of photoperiod do they like? 14 hours or more?

Hey no use... Most neps appreciate Long Fibered Spagnum moss as the base for their medium...Many are happy in pure LFS. I usually throw in a handfull of orchid mix to add some chunk and help the mix with aeration. A plastic pot with drainage wholes is fine, though the size will depend on the plant. Use your judgement on that one. 14 hours is good if you're going to use artificial lighting, at least in the winter....try experimenting with increasing the photo period as the days lengthen.

I have gotten these from lowes:
N. x. 'holland hybrid'
N. x. morganiana
N. alata
N. miranda
I have seen:
N. ventrata
N. ventracosa
N. coccacina (or whatever that lame plant is called)

Tre, When you obtained those plants from Lowes were they labeled as N. xmorganiana, N. 'Holland Hybrid', and N. alata?

Wondering the same thing, lol. N. x morganiana is a lovely hybrid. It would almost certainly have to be somebodyselling rooted cuttings to Lowe's for that to be there.

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Jan. 27 2005,3:47)]Hey no use... Most neps appreciate Long Fibered Spagnum moss as the base for their medium...Many are happy in pure LFS.  I usually throw in a handfull of orchid mix to add some chunk and help the mix with aeration.  A plastic pot with drainage wholes is fine, though the size will depend on the plant.  Use your judgement on that one.  14 hours is good if you're going to use artificial lighting, at least in the winter....try experimenting with increasing the photo period as the days lengthen.
ok well ive spent alot of money recently and cant go out and buy another thing such as orchid mix, but i do have some new zealand lfs, sphagnum peat moss, perlite, silica sand, and i also have charcoal, is there a suitable mix i can just make with what i have?

thanks
edit: also i was wondering if i posted a pic if you guys may have an idea of which type it is? it has one very tiny pitcher starting on it so i dunno if it would help or not

You have all the ingredients to make a suitable Nep mix. The New Zealand sphag mixed with perlite would work. I've seen beautiful Nepenthes grown in a mix of sphagnum peat and perlite. Sand is not one of my favorites for Neps, however-a bit too compact. Save it for the Sarrs.
smile.gif

No they were not labeled correctly. Well the alata and x. morganiana were. Someone from the NECPS confirmed the alata and the morganiana looks exactly like the one in The Savage Garden and I was told is was fairly rare. The holland hybrid I have found myself and it is the only option left for that plant. I think an independant person sells plants to our area Lowes. Or the company mixes up orders becaseu most are N. ventra but sometimes alata. The holland hybrid and morganiana were the only ones there and they were badly injured. since they were on the $3 sale rack I saved them and brought them back to health. The odd Neps are always easy to pick out. I know the gardener at Lowes and tell her to order more CPs everytime they sell out

Hi Everyone,
It would be highly unlikely that Lowes actually did have the real N. morganiana.  I believe Joe Griffin said that they would have to have cuttings, which would be unlikely because Lowes purchases their plants from large suppliers who mass produce one plant from tissue culture (like N. ‘Miranda’, ‘Gentle’, ventrata, and Coccinea).  Because of the time it would take to grow out the morganiana, cut it up and distribute it to Lowes, that plant would not be worth the cost.   It is not a particularly fast grower, and does not produce multiple growth points, I have seen cuttings take a decade to become plants!    
Here is a photo of the real N. morganiana, obtained from Longwood Botanical Gardens.  It is a cross name, but there is only one surviving plant left, and it is a female.
N.%20morganiana%20two%20traps%2010-27-04.JPG

It has an interesting history if anyone wants to know.  

James Taplin made the cross in 1881 at the Such nursery in the US, it was a gift to Mrs. Morgan.  The hybrid is hookeriana x mirabilis – which is the reciprocal of Coccinea and wrigleyana (mirabilis x hookeriana).  The plant flowered as a female.  Mrs. Morgan sold the plant to the Veitch nurseries and made its way across the Atlantic to England.  Veitch subsequently sold cuttings to American collectors and N. morganiana made its way back to the US.  These plants are all from a single surviving cultivar.  All true N. morganiana is a vegetative propagation from Mrs. Morgan’s plant in 1881!  

Lowes does not sell this plant, nor do the wholesale suppliers.  Lowes does not purchase plants from individuals, they order wholesale in large numbers.  Purchasing for Lowes is done out of a central office, they have “buyers” that do this.  Individual stores only report inventory levels.  

Tre, please post a pic of your morganiana.  Since you are selling cuttings and distributing this plant to other people as morganiana, and we know you only want correct labels and information, we thought we might be able to properly id these plants (even though others might have told you that it was morganiana).  This plant would not be easy to take cuttings from and grow out fast to a larger size.

Just a note on that thought. I frequently see people posting they got a plant felt it was mislabelled or was totally unlabelled. They find a photo and decide it is now that plant. Such a plant unless absolutely certain and confirmed by multiple experts should NEVER be relabelled. If you put a label on it, it should include that the id is in question. I would be highly suspicious of even N. alata at Lowes .. N. xMorganiana ... nearly impossible.

Tony

Back