What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes from lowes

ok i just wondering what kind of nepenthes they probably would be if sold at lowes, like would they more likely be high or lowland species? the company is botanical wonders...

I know that company! lol
It is probably N. x 'Ventrata' or ventrosa and they can tolerate both highland and lowland conditions
smile.gif

I think "Botanical Blunders" rolls off the tongue better, but that would probably not sell as well....
smile_n_32.gif

Sorry, I have had coffee and everything, so there is no excuse for me...

Cheers,

Joe

My Lowes Neps. were N. ventricosa. I have two.

Glenn

I had one from Lowe's in the past and now I just got another... I'd say Ventricosa.

I have a hooded pitcher that was marked as a cobra plant. But that looks sort of close the Nepenthes I found there was marked as a fly trap and thats way off. both are growing fine but nep still has not pitchered yet.

126.jpg

This little guy came from Lowes' Botanical Wonders - a young ventricosa. 14 months later, it is still kickin'!
smile.gif

And you didn't enter that pot in the contest on CPUK. 'Bout blinded me when the pic popped up on the monitor Jimscott
laugh.gif
. Nice nep, too.

Steve, do you mean, "most hideous....?" Remember, "Irfanview - and did I say it's free?"
smile_m_32.gif

Jimscott, thats not an N. ventriocosa, looks like a young N. sanguinea to me, deff. not N. ventricosa though.

Yeah, the first thing i thought when i saw that was: aww, that's a cute little sanguinea. It didn't strike me as a ventricosa. It's young, but not as young that it looks drastically different from the rest of the species.

Could anyone post pics of the two side by side? I read somewhere a topic about what kind of plants come from Lowes and Home Depot. When it came to "tropical pitcher plants" - ventricosa was it.

Not sure what you have Jimscott. When it gets older and more mature it will be easier to see. I wasn't aware that Botanical Wonders had N. sanguinea in TC but maybe they do now. Does look a little odd for N. ventricosa. Is that the latest picture?

Tony

If they get their starter plugs from Agristarts, then it could be sanguinea as they have both ventricosa and sanguinea. I am guessing ventrata plugs must originate from the Dutch nurseries.

Cheers,

Joe

That's the most recent photo, taken from the summer. I hope to have more pics, via a forgetful co-worker by February.

Is there a reason why places like Botanical Wonders can't be more specific than writing "Tropical Pitcher Plant" or "Sweet..." or "Purple..." or "Sundew Species"? Obviously, a Lowes and Home Depot worker won't know anything, but certainly the grower or supplier should know what they are sending to the garden places. I bought a "Sweet Pitcher Plant" that turned out to have the fenestrations of a leucophylla. Which kind of leuco it is, I couldn't tell you. It resembles pics of Tarnoks I have seen. It's frustrating and embarrassing to say you have one thing, only to find out you have something different.

They buy their packaging and labels in huge lots to shave every penny off production. Supplies from their labs and other wholesale plug producers are not always consistent in what they have available. Big retail chains want a steady supply of product for their shelves...

Bottom line is use general packaging so you can just stick whatever you can get from your suppliers into it and keep the retail chains happy.

Tony

Also most cp enthusiests buy their plants from reputable dealers like our own Tony Parobek. Places like Lowe's are selling to the general public who are looking for a sundew or pitcher plant as a general oddity to add to their plant collection.

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Jan. 17 2005,1:11)]Also most cp enthusiests buy their plants from reputable dealers like our own Tony Parobek. Places like Lowe's are selling to the general public who are looking for a sundew or pitcher plant as a general oddity to add to their plant collection.

Cheers,

Joe
what he said....

I was at lowes about a few months ago looking at the orchids and a lady and her daughter were looking at the little neps in the cups. They thought it was a wierd plant, they thought the pitchers were fruit ///

Back