Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Truncata: highland v lowland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Sszvein,
    The only difference between the lowland and highland varieties of N. Veitchii is that the lowland variety has longer leaves and pitchers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only difference, eh?
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be nice.. keep things on topic etc etc yada yada.

T
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I had to bite. For all you young ones out there (which appears to be lots of you), have a read of Michael Catalani's comments, which are an excellent comment on Nepenthes and posting questions on chatrooms...

http://www.********.com/nu101.htm

Rule # 2 is particularly pertinent. May this link could be posted as a sticky....
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Sorry, I had to bite. For all you young ones out there (which appears to be lots of you), have a read of Michael Catalani's comments, which are an excellent comment on Nepenthes and posting questions on chatrooms...

http://www.********.com/nu101.htm

Rule # 2 is particularly pertinent. May this link could be posted as a sticky....
    Thank you sydneyneps, but your assumtion that my age relates to my research is insulting. If you don't like encouraging new growers, helping out a curious kid, or if my ignorance insults you then you can leave the posting to other people. Sorry but this stereotype gets tossed around too much.
    Im a terible speeler, but I are collage stodint.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicuris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I can tell, there is no experience level requirement to be a member of this forum. The other current posts are discussing which Nepenthes are at Lowes – not the most advanced discussion, but enjoyable for the people participating. Catalani writes in rule #2 “Get off your butt and research” -not a good way to look at something that is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. For the new Nepenthes growers, posting their question here IS the research. A hobby shouldn’t feel like a homework assignment. If someone doesn’t want to answer the basic questions over and over again, they are not obligated to, even if they have the knowledge. It takes the same amount of energy to just give the information as it takes to tell someone that a question has already been answered. Everyone has to start somewhere. I once had no Nepenthes knowledge, and I am so thankful for all of the information given to me by other growers. Much of the discussion on this forum is really not readily available – like Latin pronunciation. Often a species will be labeled “highland” but will grow happily in either highland or lowland conditions and it is discussion with other growers that allows this information to be shared.
    We sell Nepenthes and Sarracenia at the local plant shows and have heard every stupid question imaginable. People have actually fought with me about MY plants. Example: the customer points to the pitcher and asks me “This is a pretty flower, how often does it flower?” We have to start our explanations at the beginning every time. Sometimes it’s just not worth it because the customer refuses our knowledge. When someone asks a question we answer in the most direct way possible. I have answered the same questions close to a hundred times a day at a plant sale - for years! When the person asking the question really wants to know the answer, it’s exciting for me too, because I get to see their discovery process. It is very satisfying when a customer we introduced to these plants comes back to us and says “… my Nepenthes has taken over my patio, it’s so happy.”. We have watched people become addicted.
    There is a part of me that loves the “rules” that Catalani wrote, but if I was just starting out, I would have been turned off. When I was a newbie, I was exposed to so many growers who were leaps and bounds more advanced than I was at the time. I absorbed as much as I could, though most of it went right over my head. By the way, age has nothing to do with knowledge. Some of the younger enthusiasts I have met are more experienced and up to date than the old timers. Young and inexperienced or old and senile… this forum is open to all!

Michelle – 22 years old, Co-Owner of Sunbelle Exotics, Inc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Trent @ Jan. 14 2005,4:11)]By the way, age has nothing to do with knowledge.
    You can say that again! If fact, for some things, knowledge is the inverse of age. How many adults cannot program their VCR, but their 6-year-old kids can? How many of your customers that refuse your knowledge are kids? Very few, would be my guess. When you are certain that you know something, it is time to get out of the way, because likely as not, you are wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responces.
    Bobz and Trent, good points, thanks.
    In case someone thinks I'm flaming the forums, I'm not. These forums have been extremely helpful.

Chris
    Im a terible speeler, but I are collage stodint.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicuris

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast