What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truncata: highland v lowland

I've seen Truncatas for sale as highland and as lowland. Are there two different variations of the species or is it an arguable intermediate? Are there noticable differences between them? Is one form more expensive then the other? Anything else

Thanks,
Chris

the highland form is WAY more expensive than the lowland form. I do not know why though
confused.gif

The lowland form of truncata has been in cultivation for decades, and is very common. It has basically green pitchers and the peristome varies from striped to red. It is found below about 800 metres and grows well in true lowland conditions, although it tolerates highland conditions (but will grow very slowly if it is cool)

The highland form of truncata was discovered fairly recently, and is much rarer than the lowland form. There is also only one vendor who sells it wholesale (Borneo Exotics). Highland truncata, in my view, is much more spectacular than the lowland form. It is highly coloured, varying from orange, red to purple and there's even a rare black form. Its peristome is more prominent than the lowland form, and there are a few other morphological differences. All round, it is far more attractive than the lowland form, and appears to get a bit bigger than the lowland form as well. It is found at around 1,700 metres, and needs highland conditions - Rob Cantley has some in his lowland house and has said they don't fare well at all.

Due to it being new to cultivation, its scarcity, its attractiveness and the fact that all plants on sale at a retail level have been imported, it is much more expensive than the lowland form.

Highland = high prices. Lowland is cheaper. Like Hamish said, highland is much more interesting to look at. I hope the prices on that will decrease as it is cultivated more. My lowland form was grown on my windowsill for a while, but it didn't give me any pitchers, it's happier in my stovehouse now.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Here's a photo of an unusually dark LOWLAND form of N. truncata (I think we may have posted this here before).  
N.%20truncata%20seedling%20no1%20dark%20full%20pitcher%2011-27-04.JPG

The pitcher even has a dark flush on it.
Granted, it's not all black or solid red, but then neither are most of the highland forms.  This is a seedling from Geoff Mansell (red peristome x striped peristome).  We have five seedlings, three have this coloration - all through our hot Florida summers.  The other two are more typical looking.  
The truncata in the photo is still a young plant, not yet blooming size.  We think there are excellent breeding opportunities with truncata.  What coloration and tolerance would you get if this was crossed to a dark colored highland truncata?
Interesting to note that reports are bouncing around that the lowland form is more cold tolerant (more tolerant of everything!) than the highland form.

Here is my recently aquired Highland truncata.
So far each pitcher has doubled in size, and until winter was growing fast

truncata.jpg

My lowland truncata is still tiny after several years, but is finally showing some growth. Currently the highland is in my greenhouse and the lowland in my kitchen.

cheers

bill

My highland truncata has slowed down some during the winter too... but yeah, it never seemed excruciatingly slow to me.

truncatahighland3.jpg

This is an old picture (it has 3 more leaves now... the most recent being at least 6x the size of any of the pictured leaves). I took it right after the foreground pitcher opened to show the differences in the peristome coloring before they darken up. I'll take another picture when the new pitcher has formed.

I got the plant from Tony.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and appears to get a bit bigger than the lowland form as well.

I prefer the highland one concerning colours and such but I never knew it was larger than the lowland one.. Are we talking length, width (volume), or both here?
smile.gif

Have a look at the pictures on the Borneo Exotics website of the plant in habitat and see for yourself.

Thanks for the responses. I saw a very cheap truncata and I was wondering if it was too good to be true www.cobra plant.com. It was for a small plant in a 4 inch pot (so the plant must be about 4 inch) for 12.95. I've bought from them before but that seemed like a mistake, I dont think Nepthes are their specialty. Still for 12 bucks might at least try it.
Thanks again
Chris

I looked at the site. Your correct it is too good to be true. You could contact them and ask but I am 99.99999% positive it is not a highland form of N. truncata they are selling. Probably just put it under the wrong catagory.

Endparenthesis - Looking really nice. I like the photo with the older pitcher in the background.

Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Jan. 13 2005,6:05)]I am 99.99999% positive it is not a highland form of N. truncata they are selling.  Probably just put it under the wrong catagory.
i purchased a truncata from cobraplants.com maybe six months ago. i can't remember which catagory it was listed under then, he's still pretty small & green. little bit o' red on the lips but nothing special. very slow growing.

What form would grow well outside here in NE Florida? I grow mostly highland and some intermedate outside. In about 2-3 hours of direct sun.

What about veitchiis? What difference between the highland and lowland forms (besides the obvious answer that one likes it cooler...)?

This has been answered before, and you'll find the answer on several Nepenthes websites, including this one. Do a google search and you'll get all the info you need.

What question has been answered? Some lowlands perfer outside at my house if that helps

Hey Sszvein,
The only difference between the lowland and highland varieties of N. Veitchii is that the lowland variety has longer leaves and pitchers.

Be nice.. keep things on topic etc etc yada yada.

T

Sorry, I had to bite. For all you young ones out there (which appears to be lots of you), have a read of Michael Catalani's comments, which are an excellent comment on Nepenthes and posting questions on chatrooms...

http://www.cpjungle.com/nu101.htm

Rule # 2 is particularly pertinent. May this link could be posted as a sticky....

Back