What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soil

I am running low on LFS, but i have tons of peat, perlite, and osmunda fiber. If i put one part of each in to a mix, would this be okay for Nepenthes? What about just peat, and either perlite, or osmunda fiber?
Thanks
Dave

I am not a big fan of a peat based mix for Nepenthes but some use it with other ingredients and it works fine. Potting mix needs to be tailored to an individuals growing style, techniques, and environmental conditions.

If I had no choice I would use all 3 but make it more weighted on the perlite and osmunda with maybe just a little peat. Osmunda isn't cheap though...

Tony

Osmunda is non-existent in these parts, lol.
Some use peat really well. Depends on the plant also.
Maybe try osmunda:perlite: peat in a 2:2:1 ratio? I know one UK grower that used to use Slack's similar recipe(put in orchid bark instead of osmunda) with good success, though he has switched to sphagnum:bark: seramis clay pearls in equal parts.

Cheers,

Joe

Back