What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More red spots

Hello!

Noticed something wrong when I took out my ventricosa from the tank, from above it's look normal, but when I look under the leaves :

rustspot.jpg

What's that? More plant bronzing or rustspot?

This is what N.Coccinea looks like :  
smile_n_32.gif

coccinea.jpg

coccinea_chibi_pitcher.jpg

coccinea_sama_pitcher.jpg

Super cute!

Are the images too massive?

hmm.. looks like little specks on the underside. Have you looked with a magnifying glass to see if you could spot any spider mites?

Tony

Not the shadow of a spider mite in sight.
So... this is normal? My other ventricosas are pretty much all green under their leaves, this is just a variation then?

The spots look like whitefly nymphs
http://gcrec.ifas.ufl.edu/cabage%....phs.htm
But, if you looked for mites, you would have seen the whiteflies.

The top of the leaf looks like some evaporated hard-water deposits or fertilizer residual. Just wild guesses.

No it's not normal. Doesn't look like the symptoms from systemic fungus though.

I still lean towards insect damage. What are those tiny whitish specks on the underside of the leaves in the top photo??

Tony

Today was "watering day" so I seized the opportunity to take them out and inspect it more closely.  Those white specks (you have good eyes, I didn't see them myself at first) do not look like much to me, I scraped some of with my finger pad and looked at it under the magnifying glass, it doesn't look like an insect, it could be some sort of droping but I didn't see anything that moved anywhere.
I'm thinking it could be mineral deposits.
I could find my old microscope from its dust and look at them more closely then, should I?

I also noticed that the ventricosas are the only ones affected, maxima, sanguinea and coccinea, all of them in the same tank with the ventricosas, show no sign of that rust at all.

There's been developpement in that departement, and not for the best, the "attacked" leaves are getting a yellow tint on the top.
I'm leaning toward the sickness hypothesis... rust spot maybe? But D'Amato says it's mostly harmless... and no ther neps but the ventricosas are affected even they come from different places and are growing side by side.

Help?

I vote for rust. I am not sure because the plant I had that had it had rust on the top also. Pm tony and ask him what to do for it. If you are worried, which you should be, hit it with a insecticide/fungicide. Do not mix the chemicals though. You can only use certain brands but I cannot remember what ones

I dont think there is anything wrong with your coccinea. It looks just like mine, and all the others that I have seen at stores and such. I think its just too much light, and it's genes (most of them come from one nursery). The ventricosa i'm not so sure about, but the white specks are probably calcium deposits seeing some on the top of your leaves. The browing I have no idea, but I would quarentine it for a while in case its infectious (could be too late if it is, but who knows). Zongyi

Back