What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivorous ikebana

blink.gif

Wow!

GASP!!!

That's truly magnificent!

Capslock

Whoa! Better than ikebana (I think you used a slightly incorrect term there, Hans
smile.gif
)!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shokuchuu @ Jan. 22 2005,2:21)]Whoa! Better than ikebana (I think you used a slightly incorrect term there, Hans
smile.gif
)!
Not to be German about it, shokuchuu, but AFAISTUI, "ikebana" (cha1hua1 in Chinese) means nothing less and nothing more than "flower arrangement" (literally "flower insertion").
(see also http://www.itjp.org/dic/shumi.htm)

And what else is this garden but a magnificent example of artful flower arrangement?

QED
smile.gif

Hans,
To go from the greenhouse to the garden... how wonderful and beautiful! Thanks for posting these links, we never would have seen them otherwise.

Trent

Ikebana is also a very specific and defined type of flower arrangement. It can take years of study to become proficient in its form. Probably what Shokuchuu was refering too.

Tony

Ikebana in Japan is basically cut flower/plant arrangements as far as my genes tell me.
smile.gif
Those plants are growing in a beautiful arrangement, fortunately, not cut!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shokuchuu @ Jan. 23 2005,12:46)]Ikebana in Japan is basically cut flower/plant arrangements as far as my genes tell me.
smile.gif
You're right, they're cut plants. Point made/taken!

It is, however, _some_ kind of Japanese horticultural art form, because A-Chang (the owner of this garden) states in the first thread that he imitated/learned this form of highland nep planting from a Japanese source. He calls it the "Yamada Method": 學日本山田的方式種植高地種 (Big5 encoding)

It might arise from the Yamada of Yamada Nouen (Yamada Nursery) fame...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hans Breuer @ Jan. 24 2005,2:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shokuchuu @ Jan. 23 2005,12:46)]Ikebana in Japan is basically cut flower/plant arrangements as far as my genes tell me.
smile.gif
You're right, they're cut plants. Point made/taken!

It is, however, _some_ kind of Japanese horticultural art form, because A-Chang (the owner of this garden) states in the first thread that he imitated/learned this form of highland nep planting from a Japanese source. He calls it the "Yamada Method": 學日本山田的方式種植高地種 (Big5 encoding)
Yep! I agree with that statement! If it indeed originated from where I think it did, here's Yamada-san's website. Absolutely stunning display of plants there too. It's good to see that people are taking full advantage of the climate in Taiwan to grow CP in such a manner!

Amori

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shokuchuu @ Jan. 24 2005,3:45)]Yep! I agree with that statement! If it indeed originated from where I think it did, here's Yamada-san's website. Absolutely stunning display of plants there too. It's good to see that people are taking full advantage of the climate in Taiwan to grow CP in such a manner!

Oh, _that's_ Yamada! Why didn't someone say so earlier! One of my favorite drool sites!

I do buy seeds in Japan, but no plants, as they're mostly too expensive. Seeing how the Japanese invade Taiwan every weekend by the thousands on the hunt for bargain orchids, I'm sure the Taiwanese could make a killing selling Neps to them, too, but somehow no one has figured that out yet.

Oh well. Maybe I'll make that by business when I retire
smile_n_32.gif

Hans

It is magnificent! It looks like pics taken in Natuure!

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Jan. 24 2005,10:06)]It is magnificent! It looks like pics taken in Natuure!
Joe,

I guess that's the Japanese spirit. AFAIK, the highest goal in Japanese garden design is to make stuff look even more natural than nature, e.g., you won't see straight lines or perfect 90 degree angles.

Back