Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best light type?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turner, without know the other specs on those coils, I would say no way. The light I mentioned is about 12 inches lonag (give or take...might be 10 or 14..didn't actually measure), and is about 6 or 7 inches wide.....almost a perfect fit for a 10 gallon tank.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the kelvin rating really matter that much? I've seen a bunch of "Aqua-Glo" lights that have a 18 000 kelvin rating. And on the box it says that they are great for promoting plant growth.

I'm confused [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]
    Just remember that you are special... Just like everybody else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And they also only have about 270 lumens. Do the lumens matter too?!
    Just remember that you are special... Just like everybody else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    of course lumens matter. Actually they are teh only thing that matters. Refering to a lights output by using "watts" is highly inaccurate. Its just easier to say because no one really walks aroundwith a light meter.

Thats why when you see those spiril flourescent lights at lowes and home depot they say "150 watt output" but its really only the equivilent to an incandescent bulb. Those spirils are really only about 42-44 watts of actuall power usage. Thats why people think they are more efficeint because you're comparing them to incandescents. Compare that to a metal halide and lets see whats more efficeint.:laugh:

For my grow chamber I'm using a 400 watt MH with an osram 5500K bulb (BTW its kelvin,not kelving [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] ) it puts out insane amounts of light. But I have to be careful when I get new plants to acclimate them accordingly. I acidently burnt the leaves on one of my plants. I think most people don't use MH though because of two things, cost and heat. I can understand the cost because it can get expensive. But if you're mindful of your setup heat should never be an issue. Infact I have to run three heating pads in the chamber right now since its "sooo cold" here in socal [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] When it comes to lights, go big or go someplace else. You can always do something about to much light, like shading and stuff, but you can't suplliment to little light
    https://www.instagram.com/hull.jess/ (I post pics of my plants there)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yea when I switched from using spiril flour. to the MH I noticed a huge spike in growth...
    https://www.instagram.com/hull.jess/ (I post pics of my plants there)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look in the greenhouse and terrariums forum (or whatever it's called) there's some threads stuck at the top that have more info on lights than you can possibly need.

If you just want a simple answer, as has been said (mostly summarizing):
    - No incandescents. They are an abomination of inefficiency and waste. Plus the heat will cook your plants.
    - You want fluorescents of some kind. There are three options.
    1) Buy that fluorex light everyone here worships (i've heard of sun worshipers, but this is definitely odder yet). It is in a reflector that will fit well over a 10 or 20G terrarium. 65 watts of fluorescent light over a terrarium that small will make it very warm and very bright in there, though. Maybe too much so. I have a fluorex and it is good for some uses, but i would (and do) stick with option (3) for a terrarium.
    2) Buy an ordinary compact fluorescent bulb (the kind that screws into a socket, just like an incandescent). Buy the one with the most lumens you can find at the hardware store or Home Depot/Lowes. This will be the cheapest option, but less light. You can buy one of the shiny metal clamp-on reflectors they sell there for about $10 as well, if you like.
    3) Buy shoplights or some other straight-lamp fluorescent fixture. If you go the shoplight route you'll have a longer light than you need. That's good. Put more plants under it. 8) Also if you go the shoplight route, get the HD brand (can't remember what it's called- Commercial Electric, i think) that is about $15 and takes the smaller (not shorter, thinner) T8 tubes. It will be brighter, cooler, and last longer than the big kind of lamps (T12s).

Have fun
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lumens are a good measure of light output, but not the definitive one for growing plants. What you're really interested in is PAR, photosynthetically active radiation. Lumens measure light that the human eye senses; PAR measures light that most plants can use to make food. Often, the two are surprisingly different. Unfortunately, most bulbs are not marketed for use by indoor plant enthusiasts, and so PAR ratings are unavailable most of the time. Thus, many people go by lumens (which is better than just watts.) However, some nice person posted a link to a big list of PAR ratings for common bulbs a while ago - you can probably still find it in the greenhouse section - so you might give that look before you make a final decision.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out my last post in the greenhouse pictures thread in "Greenhouses, Terrariums and Bog Gardens"... I'm not too sure about lumens and stuff, but what I'm doing is pretty much illustrated in that post and it's working pretty well.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast