Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Little...crawly...thingies?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Trent @ Jan. 30 2005,4:32)]There might be a sneaky snail hiding somewhere, and only comes out at night.
    I think you may be right. I killed 3 snails that came with my last ventricosa and i was dumb enough to put the plant in my terrarium. Would a snail make it grow abnormally? The way it grows it looks like it has 2 proto leaves [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] I always thought it was kinda cool, but might it be signs of a snail?
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cephalotus making partly carnivorous/noncarnivorous leaves is a frequent occurance. It doesn't indicate some pest eating the leaves.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snails would cause something like an entire Ping. disappearing overnight.(Your original post stated something to that effect) They don't normally eat Nepenthes, but will go after soft, young Nep seedlings. Undersized, deformed growths on a Nep could be caused by mites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I've found very damaging are slugs - not only do they do a lot of damage by eaten growing tips and new leaves, but they must release some toxin or something, because I've seen deformed new growth and damage spread badly when slugs had eaten a plant. Slimy, evil little blighters they are.
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When snails or slugs go for Neps they leave large holes and major chunks are removed from the leaves. This happens overnight. Definitely nasty blighters. Snail/slug bait with wheat gluten and iron based (not toxic to other critters) should take care of the problem. You could try a jar lid full of beer. The nasty blighters go for the beer and end up drowning and dying. A little messy to dispose of... but what a way to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In one of the capensis that died also, death appered to come from the roots up.

Entire pings HAVE disappeared overnight.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123