Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windowsill varieties

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! I didn't have much hope for this hybrid either, as it was a pitcherless scraggely little vine that was kind of thrown in with a bunch of other neps I bought. But it's one of my favorites now! I think it goes to show that virtually any Nepenthes that is grown in favorable conditions is going to look great (plus, anything with veitchii is going to have some size.) All summer long it kicked out big upper pitchers like you see in the picture, one after another. It even put out a couple this winter.

Seedjar, it's attached to a stick I shoved into the pot, but it's grown way over the stick now and just kind of leans against the window.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Feb. 06 2005,3:57)]Particularly, I'd like to move my N. alata, N. x ventrata x alata, and N. x Judith Finn out of the tank, as they're getting a little too big for a ten gallon aquarium.
    My ventrata is pitchering in a cold basement that's probably terribly dry. I wish I had a way to give it a more humid winter but I just don't have the setup right now (I mist a few times a day). The lids of the pitchers dry up within a month after a pitcher forms usually, but that's the extent of the damage done to it by its environment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like sanguinea, as it is a sizeable grower, and very pretty. It's also kinda hard to kill.
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So... if I'm going to move them out of my terrarium, do I need to give them any sort of transition? I recall seeing something about gradual humidity changes being easier on sensitive plants. The terrarium is probably only 10-20% higher than the ambient air at any given time, so I don't think it should be too bad. I only worry because my N. alata never, ever pitchered until I started keeping it in a dry cleaning bag with standing water to provide humidity. (That was before the terrarium, of course. God, that bag was ugly.)
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your plant in the picuture very much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite is N. ventricosa x talangensis. It puts out a lot of basal shoots and it never gets very big. Mine seems to put out a lot of tendrils at one time then inflate all around the same time, so you get a lot of pitchers at one time.
    Paradise found is paradise lost.
    -The Future of Life

Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?
    -Garth Nix

Je pense, donc je suis... je pense

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12