What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanna see something strange?

I don't know what this is. I took pictures from the 3 latest pitchers of my spotted tentaculata. Looks like its getting bigger with each new pitcher (shudders).  I wonder if it can move this "thing" it's growing!!?!
Has anyone seen this before
confused.gif

hookthing.jpg

soooooooooo........is it a male plant?
confused.gif
?
confused.gif

sorry couldnt resist
smile_n_32.gif

Yes its a male and yes he is pleased to see you
smile.gif

Been looking at my tentaculata and no sign of that sort of thing might it be a location trait ??
Bye for now Julian

Seems to me like the pitchers are saying, "come on in, the water's fine!"

With the "feeler hairs" around the protrusion, I would say what you have is a Nepenthes x Utricularia hybrid. The protrusion is obviously the main trigger hair....
smile_l_32.gif

Cheers,

Joe

BTW, Nice camera work.

When a bug touches it, it starts a vacuum at the bottom of the pitcher, sucking it in.
biggrin.gif

Pretty cool.

I had pics somewhere of a goofy "prong" like that which appeared on my N. eustachya for 3 or 4 pitchers and then never again in 2 + years. My occurance happened in the hot summer months. The prong mine made was bigger and twisted like a unicorn horn!   It looked like about six teeth twisted into a prong. I thought maybe I had struck cultivar gold with a rather plain Nep: N. eustachya Unicorn! Unfortunatley whatever it was burned itself out. Guess I liked it too much!
smile_n_32.gif

I posted the pics ages ago asking the same question, nobody seemed to know what it was then either. I'll see if I can find the pics again.

hmmm.
Yeah let's see the pics Josh.
I guess I could call it N. tentaculata [spotted(var. coat hook)], or var. "rhino horn" or var. "maximus"....

WOW! I didn't know that could happen.

Is this rare?

dude, this post is 2 years old. leave it alone.
and, hypocriticaly, i cant see the pic.

Back