What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Room-temperature terrarium

Do you know any nephenthes species which would be good in a room-temperature terrarium?

N. sanguinea takes anything I throw at it - open tray, terrarium, outside...

depends on your room temperature. i have N. bongso, sibuyanensis, macfarlanei, and highland veitchii growing and pitchering at room temps in my kitchen. but we keep our house on the cool side at night cause we sleep better with it cool. before i put heat in my lowland tank everything but my speckled amp and bical x amp were doing fine. those two took off once they got heat but my lowland hybrids like Ile de France, Wrigleyana and Coccinea were growing fine although on the slow side. depends on your house but start out with hybrids and probably "highlands" from lower elevations like bongso, sanguinea, ventricosa and those and you should be fine.

What rattler_mt said. I currently keep all my highland Nepenthes in a little terrarium on the windowsill, and at night it gets mighty chilly (not uncomfortably) between the windows and the curtains.

All my Nepenthes (see below) live in a terrarium on my windowsill and all are alive and growing. Just try it!

Nepenthes alata
Nepenthes ampullaria
Nepenthes bellii
Nepenthes gracilis
Nepenthes khasiana x tobaica
Nepenthes [maxima x (maxima x northiana)] x (maxima x northiana)
Nepenthes macrophylla
Nepenthes rafflesiana
Nepenthes rajah
Nepenthes ventricosa x alataventrata )
Nepenthes ventricosa x inermis
Nepenthes xiphioides
+ several Nepenthes hybrids

I have found N.Maxima to be outstandingly tolerant, my house is very hot in summer and very cold in winter; not to mention really dry, terrarium is 40% humidity right now and Maxima is still pitchering...
So does Sanguinea, but the pitchers are somewhat smaller and squatter.
Two really bomb-proof species.

I forgot to mention one thing: If you give a Nepenthes 100% perfect conditions, it will grow like weed. But it won't die because the conditions are only 65% perfect, the growth will be slower. If you do not freeze your ultra-steam forest lowland species and if you not heat up the room with your ultra highlanders they will not die! Most Nepenthes can grow in the same intermediate setup. This is my personal experience (see above) but Andreas Wistuba told about the same in the forum of the German society.

He said about 90% of the Nepenthes species can be grown together in intermediate conditions and he reported from successfully growing N. bicalcarata and N. lowii near together.
Doesn't that sound good?

Cheers,
Jan

Yeah, I have N. aristolochioides and N. hamata happily pitchering in the same room with N. ampularia, N. albomarginata, and a whole bunch in between. Daytime temps hit 75-78 degrees, and nighttime goes down to 60 or a touch below if it's cold out. Everyone is happy!

Capslock

I was readin through the posts and I just realized that I should get a highland nep for in my room. My room is ALWAYS cold. from 50-75 at all times. I have my window open in the winter sometimes, like right now. AND, if it's really windy then it can get to like...50 degrees in my room. Bad for me but possibly good for them. I've been wanting to get a nep for some time now. I'm gonna go search around Cook's for a good highland. And to think I was afraid to grow lowlands when it's probably the best thing I could grow right now.

I live in Ohio in US, and it gets really cold. I have a nep and I don't know what species it is. It is growing really tall, and I mean taller than I thought it ever would, but it doesn't develop pitchers. Must I have the plant in a terrarium? Or could I just mist the plant and give the impression of humidity?

most neps need good light to pitcher well. misting wont hurt either

Humidity is your issue otisthorpe. Try misting it or place a humidifer near it. Or do what I did when I didn't have the greenhouse, grow stuff in clear garbage bags and close-pin the top shut. Mist ever once in a while and the plant will pitcher very good for you.

Here in NE FLorida all of them
smile_m_32.gif
Well the lowlands anyway. The rest are outside
smile.gif

I hadn't thought about clear bags. I will try that and see what happens next. I have begun misting today, so well see what happens.

just so yah know it may take a couple weeks or more before a pitcher starts forming even if just spraying it is enough of a boost.

Don't over mist in the bags though. Don't want it like a stagnant cesspool in there! The bags will essentially be a mini greenhouse, don't let them overheat if you are able to hang them or put them in some windows to get sunlight, vent the top a little bit if you do put it in the sun.

My experience echoes what Jan and others said regarding the versatility of Nepenthes.  I now have about half my plants growing in East/South exposure windows, with no terrarium, and after adapting to the conditions (which took a while for some of them), most of them are pitchering and growing, albeit slowly.  

The one single most important thing as far as i can tell is... light (and not drying out completely).  If you don't supplement the lighting in the dark winter season, the Neps will slow down and stop pitchering.  Now that the days are getting longer again, the plants are popping out pitchers all over the place.

Species i am growing on the windowsill (humidity ranging from ~20% to %80 or more):
N. sanguinea (dark red form)
N. ventricosa
N. alata (Luzon)
N. aristolochioides x thorelii
N. rafflesiana
N. ramispina
N. albomarginata
N. fusca / stenophylla
N. truncata (highland)

The first three expect a LOT of light, and do great when outside in full sun over the summer.  They just kind of hold on during the winter.

N. ampullaria (spotted)
N. burbidgea
N. adnata
and
N. sibuyanensis (recently added)

may not do so well.  They grow, and sometimes pitcher, but the pitchers are significantly reduced in frequency and size.  The adnata is just picky in general.  It consistently and slowly grows regardless of what conditions i have it in, but is finicky about pitchering.

Most pitcher seem to last less time in the less humid conditions, too.

I have an N. ampullaria red form in the windowsill as well, but in a large plastic bag, and it is doing pretty well.  However, it is getting too wide to fit in the bag.  It refuses to produce basal pitchers for me, though, which is annoying since it's now more than a meter tall.

Back