0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is not N. emmarene.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will agree with Trent becasue he is obsessed with Neps [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I obtained the same plant from ********** at the time they were selling them as N. tobaica. As my plant started to mature theres no doubt in my mind that the plant ended up to be a cross between khasiana x ventricosa.

Drew mcclain
    http://www.geocities.com/southerntropicals

As the sun shine's through the clouds above the table top mountains,nothing more can be seen then a beautiful landscape of glowing Heliamphora's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I will have to see what my N. tobaica from Hirts Greenhouse turns out to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tre,

I would put money on the DeGroot hybrid, lol. Unless their plants originated from Rob Cantley, Malesiana Tropicals, Andreas Wistuba, Phill Mann....am I forgetting anyone?
    Somebody posted a pic of a intermediate/upper this hybrid put out, and it is surprisingly pleasing.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the difference between the Degroot hybrid and the normal? What is the hybrid of?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tre, read Joe's comment: "DeGroot "N. tobaica", which some have surmised is N. tobaica x N. khasiana or N. venticosa."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, nearly all of the most popular Neps-as found at Lowe's, Home Depot, chain operated garden centers- are from a large wholesale nursery located in Belgium, called Reginald DeRoose. Their tc clones include N. Miranda, N. alata, N. coccinea, N. Gentle, N. tobaica. The seed used to generate the plantlets are the result of hybridizing, and the exact parentage is proprietary info-a trade secret. We can only make educated guesses as to what plants were used to make these hybrids. From amongst the dozens of seeds put into tc, only a few make it to the marketplace. These are the most attractive and vigorous, and they are cloned by the thousands. How else are they able to supply nearly every Lowe's garden center in the USA and their overseas customers as well?
    Of interest is the fact that they name the plants after the female-the pod bearer-of the hybrids produced. Thus the plants called alata we all know is not pure alata, but ventrata. This is because when producing the seed to use for tc, they crossed a ventricosa onto an alata. The same applies to the tobaica. Something was crossed onto a tobaica. They would not use the name of a totally unrelated species otherwise. Most likely-we are guessing here-a ventricosa or (khasiana x ventricosa) was used as the pollen donor-male plant. Also, perhaps the "tobaica" used as the female was not pure-the possibility exists that a (tobaica x ventricosa) was the female, mislabelled as tobaica. A check of Nep hybrid literature should be done to see if anyone made such a hybrid that may have found its way into European Nep collections. (I guess that should be me)
    One thing it is not is emmarene. I know the guy who made that cross decades ago and named the grex. N. emmarene has a larger growth habit, more akin to the khasiana parent.
    Hope this has helped to clarify matters a little.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast