What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep miranda is huge

I was checking my neps in my basement under there grow light and i noticed how big and leafy my nep 'miranda' is IT has big leaves on it not many pitchers though as the humidity isnt that high for them so basically they just grow leaves and tendrils and as soon as it goes outside in the summer it will pitcher. But this type must be rather large leaved as none of my other neps have leaves as big as this or near it. I looks like i should put it in a 10 inch pot as it would fit in well. Its currently in a 6 inch pot but it overflows it.

Then pehaps it is time to repot soon. How big across is the plant? A mature N. Miranda would have no trouble filling a 10" pot full of roots!

Tony

i just measured it and the plant across is 19 inches! I am sure it has tight roots but it seems somewhat happy. when i got it it was rootbound in a 4 inch pot. At the time i was running low on soil so i just stuck it in a 6 inch but i could repot it. It will be a monster nepenthes soon.

Let me get you a photo of a mature plant in a 20 inch diameter hanging basket
smile.gif

I was gonna say, the one I got from Phil during his sale last summer was a good 24" leaf to leaf /no tendrils, with pitchers around 12" not counting the lid. It was comfortable in a 12" pot.

Joe

19"? Nice. Just wait, though...I have ONE LEAF on my miranda that is almost 19" long!

I measured mine. Yes mine has 16 inch leaves. I do not know what I was thinking. It still has lower pitchers. They are 1 liter in volume

Very nice Dustin! I need to find a trade to get one of those someday!

Yes Noah, it is a nice plant that is worthy in anyone's collection...mine needs a trim badly! Perhaps I can offer you some material this year.

Yeah mine just needs to grow pitchers and send some shoots out and it will be as big as that one. LOL
smile_n_32.gif
I will have to see how it does in the summer when it goes outside.

Ahhahah!  
smile.gif

Those one I found in a Garden center near Milan (where I live) was really gigantic! I hope yours will be at lest so big!
See ya!  ;)
Mr_Aga
mr_aga_salvatore.jpg

Thanks for the perhaps offer Dustin! But I got a cutting now and I imagine it can`t be terribly difficult to root. About how long does it take for a 1 node cutting with a 10in leaf cut in half take,in general,to get some nice big pitchers like that?

MR_Aga thats a real nice looking miranda!

Are mirandas all the same clone or are there more then one clone of this plant around?

I got my one-node cutting around six months ago. It has roots and it's made three new leaves... no sign of pitchers yet. But it was dryer than it should have been this winter.

Back