What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. aristolochioides query...

schloaty

Staff member
Hey all,

My aristo has started to vine...or at least I think so. The inter-nodal distance has greatly increased in the last four or five leaves, and the pitcher buds look like they're getting attached further towards the back of the proto-pitcher. The vine is just shy of a foot tall....Is this about right to start seeing uppers in this species?

Also, has anyone here had their aristo produce basal shoots?

nice. what conditions are you keeping it in?

I think you should cut the vine into pieces and trade them off. You know to people like me
smile.gif

Tall enough to start making upper pitchers I would say. N. aristolochioides will make lateral shoots without too much trouble. It is however EXTREAMLY slow to root cuttings and they often fail totally.

Tony

I'm in full agreement with Treaqum.

From what I've read it's one of those species that goes vining up through the trees... so I imagine uppers come pretty quickly.

Machete, it's in typical highland conditions....high 50's to low 60's at night and high 70's low 80's for the day, 80% covered tank, so decent humidity (though over the summer it didn't mind the deck railing, so I don't think it's all that sensative in this area), and I use those fluorex 65 watt flood lights. Medium is LFS with mixed in "orchid mix."

Thanks for the info, Tony. I do intend to try and root this one. I seem to have better luck rooting the hard ones that I do with the easy ones....I rooted a one node cutting I got through the mail (complex hybrid), which I later killed from neglect (stupid), but have yet to succeed with x 'Ventrata.' Go figure.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Mar. 03 2005,4:35)]Tall enough to start making upper pitchers I would say.  N. aristolochioides will make lateral shoots without too much trouble.  It is however EXTREAMLY slow to root cuttings and they often fail totally.

Tony
Tony - you say "often" fail - have you had any success? There are about 4 of us over here in Oz that have tried on numerous occasions to root aristo but they have all failed.

Hamish

I have managed to get a couple here and there but way more often than not they don't take. I have tried many many times for obvious reasons.

Hi Guys,

Just picked up on this thread. I made three aristo cuttings before Xmas without realising it was supposedly a tricky species to root. All have taken.

Simon

Slumb,
Did you do anything extraordinary?

Cheers,

Joe

Really? I would love to hear what you did, if anything differently from a regular nep cutting...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (slumb @ Mar. 15 2005,3:41)]Hi Guys,

Just picked up on this thread. I made three aristo cuttings before Xmas without realising it was supposedly a tricky species to root. All have taken.

Simon
nice dude! seems like you have a green thumb

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Mar. 03 2005,3:35)]Tall enough to start making upper pitchers I would say.  N. aristolochioides will make lateral shoots without too much trouble.  It is however EXTREAMLY slow to root cuttings and they often fail totally.

Tony
I hope that the N.thorellii in my n.thorellii x aristo cutting counter acts that as the mother plant was realy cool looking.(Thanks again Max:))

You shouldn't have any trouble rooting the N. thorelii x aristolochioides.

Back