What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bicalcarata pitcher sizes:

Hello Guys! I have a N. bicalcarata. It was a long time since I bought it and it produced a pitcher. Well it did it like 2 months after I recieved it. Then it was like another month when it started to produce another new pithcer. But this 2nd pitcher is smaller then the first. (Older one is 3 inches of height & new one is 1.5 inches)

It is not supossed that new pitchers are always bigger than the olders? At least that is what always happens with my other Nepenthes. Does any one knows?

Thanks a lot...

Where conditions are not optimal, or the plant has suffered some shock, then new pitchers getting smaller is often seen.

I'm betting it's not happy (with only 2 pitchers in 3 months). I am sure some knowledgable Nep person can help you though. Maybe you should describe your conditions

When my red flush was little it would grow one large pitcher and all others would be smaller until I fed it. I'm guessing they need to eat insects constantly to produce large pitchers.

My big N. bicalcarata does this in the winter (now). Pitchers went from grapefruit sized to orange sized and smaller, they will pick up though in the spring, the newest one is looking well.

That isn't unheard of, it's either unhappy about something, or still in shock. Temps: 90F day, 75-80F at night. Humidity, 70% plus is good, it may tolerate a bit lower.

Gotta agree with Gracilis.
Even here in south Florida, in a greenhouse, we see pitcher size reduction during the winter. I blame it on cooler nights and shorter daylight hours (our greenhouse in winter is intermediate-highland. The ultra lowlanders have to tough it out). Our greenhouse is totally closed in during winter and the humidity never drops below 78 percent. We can already see the bicals picking up their growth speed and some huge new pitchers are forming. Another cause for reduced pitcher size is lower humidity, or periods of low humidity. Mid-day when temps are at their highest the relative humidity can drop suprisingly.

Back