What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Veitchii and bongso

Well unfortunatly I do not have a whole bunch of Neps and of the ones that I do have few are out of the "seedling pitcher" range even though they maybe fairly large. So I could not help you excpet to say if you did some minor changes and colored it dark red that could be a N. spathulata

We have a winner, or "winners" as the case may be.
Well done Joe and Tony.
Joachim - sorry but I too thought it was spathulata when I took this picture but Charlie thinks it is singalana, and I am not about to argue with the guy that wrote the book.

This was taken in a swamp at about 1,700m asl, the tree was about 1.5m from the ground and I was slowly sinking up to my knees in mud which is why the plants are at such a strange angle. I had nothing solid to put my tripod on. The same location is also quite well endowed with aristolochioides but this ISN'T Mt Tujuh!

Anyway, this all illustrates the point I was trying to make very well.
The west/ central sumatran species are a moras of similarities and from ovata in the north down to sing, bongso, carunculata, izumiae and spath in the south they all almost get mixed up with each other and this plant, for example, had everyone scratching their heads for a while.

Cheers, Troy.

PS Hi Tony, I have been busy for a bit but hope I will be back in more often, at least while I am home. I am travelling quite a lot these days.
Off to Java and Sumatra again on Wednesday for a week or two.

So do Tony and I win a "Jungle Geeks" Vacation?

smile_n_32.gif

Have fun in Java and Sumatra. Find a new one and name it after yourself..."N. fatboyii....."
Well, maybe you better use your real name.

Cheers,

Joe

Wow - so you found another locality for N. aristilochiodes? That is fabulous news for the survival of the species and made my day!

Rich

G'Day Rich!!

Didn't know you lurked in here.
This is something we can talk about on Trus Madi or Marai Parai next month.

Cheers, Troy.

Hmmm...maybe Troy should do educational photo travelogues of his trips like Fernando does for the pings.  
smile_l_32.gif
 That was very interesting.

Always something to be learned from those lucky enough to do field work.  Its a rare person who gets to trek into the jungles and see the sights you do.

You must have an amazing photo archive.  
smile.gif

Hi Pak

I enjoy writing and would like to do this but I have the same problem everyone else has - time!
I have a million projects going on and to be 100% honest I don't actually have time to go goofing off to Borneo next month, expecially as this trip will be quite long. I must admit that going up Marai Parai and seeing edwardsiana and rajah, and then up Trus Madi and seeing lowii and trusmadiensis, along with all the more boring ones
smile_n_32.gif
like fusca and burbidgea (sp?) along the way, is kind of exciting.

My last trip up Trus Madi was a complete disaster, I got some awful stomach bug on the morning we left to go up. Charlie went to the top while I spent a couple of days near the bottom, making (very frequent) dashes into the jungle from my tent.

We're going to Mulu after that, all in all I will be away about a month.
I may leave everyone after they go home and try and cross Borneo from Kinabalu, crossing back into Indonesia and returning home via the local boat from Tarakan on the east coast.
There's a very cool little Amorphophallus in that area that I'd love to find.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You must have an amazing photo archive.

Nah, just got a good memory.

Cheers, Troy.

Back