What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using superthrive?

How do you recommend using Superthrive? In what concentration? Mist the leaves, or add to soil? How often? Are there any CPs other than Nepenthes that benefit from Superthrive?

I've also seen orchid fertiliser recommended for Nepenthes. Is that in addition to Superthrive, or instead? If instead, which is better for the plant?

Superthrive is not fertilizer and does nothing for the nutrition of the plant. As for it's benefit or lack thereof.. I personally think it's a waste of money. B1 vitamin has been shown to help plants recover from transplant shock but I am not aware of any other studies showing any other benefits from various vitamins. So it may be helpful if you use it to give your plants a soak right after repotting.

Some people claim they have seen miraculous results by using it on established plants. I think it is either coincidence, or they have stressed plants because of poor growing conditions
smile_n_32.gif
Not enough can be said for striving to give the plants the proper conditions. Achieve that and they will 'Super Thrive' without some magic elixer that takes away all the plants ills.

Guess you can see my rather strong views on this subject LOL

Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Mar. 22 2005,12:54)]Superthrive is not fertilizer and does nothing for the nutrition of the plant.  As for it's benefit or lack thereof.. I personally think it's a waste of money.  B1 vitamin has been shown to help plants recover from transplant shock but I am not aware of any other studies showing any other benefits from various vitamins.  So it may be helpful if you use it to give your plants a soak right after repotting.
Actually, I'm planning mostly on using it on the cuttings I've made.

I have a number of Nep cuttings which have nice new growth and roots, but the growth seems to have stalled. They're currently in LFS in 12-oz drained plastic cups, and they've been there for several months. I'm planning to transplant them to 5" square pots with a mix of 50/50 orchid mix/LFS (does that sound like a good medium?)

I may also give my other Neps a shot of superthrive also, to see if anything happens.

Bugweed has a recipe that he uses. I just can't remember it.

I use it on my cuttings, and I occasionally water with it, about two drops per gallon. It definitely helps cuttings, and I believe the stuff about reducing transplant shock, but I don't know if it helps otherwise. My Neps seem to inflate their pitchers a little faster when I use it with a light fertilizer. It's cheap enough that I'm not too concerned about how well it works; a four dollar bottle lasts me about six months.
~Joe

Can I know how much it costs please and where it is bought.

You can get superthrive here on pft for 3.30 for a 1/2 ounce.

I hope that someone still is reading this but I have to say that Superthrive really does work, BUT only when combined with a soluble fertilizer (Not Miracle Grow) and applied to the roots.
As a test, in an area of two same plants. Make one batch solution of your favorite soluble fertilizer and one batch with the same fertilizer with a drop of Superthrive added to it. One will immediately notice that the plant where you applied fertilizer plus Superthrive, the plant seems to stand up and reach out. Almost like plants react after a heavy downpour. When combining a hormone-vitamin and fertilizer ratio, plants respond and make use of their nutrients faster.

Another great fertilizer to use is Seaweed Extract Fertilizer, made by GrowMore (www.growmore.com) and used in very small doses. This fertilizer also increases natural mychorrizae to become established in the roots system as well. This is one of the best fertilizers to use! I have used it for years and swear by it!

MM

Let me say this, after about 1 year of not using superthrive, I can say that my plants just aren't as strong as the ones that used to get superthrive. Here's the secret; plants that recieve superthrive are given extra nutrients that greatly help stimulate root growth which, in turn, create a stronger and healthier plant. Same principal applies to cuttings and plants in shock. I remember repotting my sanguinea, khasiana, and truncata a from a long time ago (2 collections ago), and found that they were completely root bound, with thick black roots circling their appropriately sized pots. The reason being that I gave theese plants like a drop per cup concentration of superthrive. Theese plants had really good growth, and sprang back from most disasters. For me superthrive was a great product, and I regret not using it for a while, as I believe many of my plants could've been saved with it.

Back