Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using superthrive?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you recommend using Superthrive? In what concentration? Mist the leaves, or add to soil? How often? Are there any CPs other than Nepenthes that benefit from Superthrive?

I've also seen orchid fertiliser recommended for Nepenthes. Is that in addition to Superthrive, or instead? If instead, which is better for the plant?
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Superthrive is not fertilizer and does nothing for the nutrition of the plant. As for it's benefit or lack thereof.. I personally think it's a waste of money. B1 vitamin has been shown to help plants recover from transplant shock but I am not aware of any other studies showing any other benefits from various vitamins. So it may be helpful if you use it to give your plants a soak right after repotting.

Some people claim they have seen miraculous results by using it on established plants. I think it is either coincidence, or they have stressed plants because of poor growing conditions [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] Not enough can be said for striving to give the plants the proper conditions. Achieve that and they will 'Super Thrive' without some magic elixer that takes away all the plants ills.

Guess you can see my rather strong views on this subject LOL

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Mar. 22 2005,12:54)]Superthrive is not fertilizer and does nothing for the nutrition of the plant. As for it's benefit or lack thereof.. I personally think it's a waste of money. B1 vitamin has been shown to help plants recover from transplant shock but I am not aware of any other studies showing any other benefits from various vitamins. So it may be helpful if you use it to give your plants a soak right after repotting.
    Actually, I'm planning mostly on using it on the cuttings I've made.

I have a number of Nep cuttings which have nice new growth and roots, but the growth seems to have stalled. They're currently in LFS in 12-oz drained plastic cups, and they've been there for several months. I'm planning to transplant them to 5" square pots with a mix of 50/50 orchid mix/LFS (does that sound like a good medium?)

I may also give my other Neps a shot of superthrive also, to see if anything happens.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bugweed has a recipe that he uses. I just can't remember it.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use it on my cuttings, and I occasionally water with it, about two drops per gallon. It definitely helps cuttings, and I believe the stuff about reducing transplant shock, but I don't know if it helps otherwise. My Neps seem to inflate their pitchers a little faster when I use it with a light fertilizer. It's cheap enough that I'm not too concerned about how well it works; a four dollar bottle lasts me about six months.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I know how much it costs please and where it is bought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get superthrive here on pft for 3.30 for a 1/2 ounce.
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope that someone still is reading this but I have to say that Superthrive really does work, BUT only when combined with a soluble fertilizer (Not Miracle Grow) and applied to the roots.
    As a test, in an area of two same plants. Make one batch solution of your favorite soluble fertilizer and one batch with the same fertilizer with a drop of Superthrive added to it. One will immediately notice that the plant where you applied fertilizer plus Superthrive, the plant seems to stand up and reach out. Almost like plants react after a heavy downpour. When combining a hormone-vitamin and fertilizer ratio, plants respond and make use of their nutrients faster.

Another great fertilizer to use is Seaweed Extract Fertilizer, made by GrowMore (www.growmore.com) and used in very small doses. This fertilizer also increases natural mychorrizae to become established in the roots system as well. This is one of the best fertilizers to use! I have used it for years and swear by it!

MM
    Morticia:\"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc, 'We would gladly feast on those who try to subdue us.' Not just pretty words. but words to live by!\"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast