What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ephippiata

I just recieved a Nepenthes ephippiata. I understand it is a highland species; the only other Nepenthes i currently have are N. 'Judith Finn', N. coccinea, and N. miranda, which (IIRC) are all lowland hybrids.

Should the N. ephippiata do OK in the same conditions in my growth chamber (80-ish during the day, 70-ish at night)?

I also just bought a N. ventricosa and a N. rafflesiana from PFT, which will probably arrive tomorrow.

welp yah dont have the right conditions so just send it to me..........:p

actually i dont know. dont have this species yet, however i have N. veitchii highland and N. bongso growing in similar conditions it just drops an extra 5 degrees here at night to 65. im not sure on N. ephippiata elivation in nature so im not sure if it will do well for yah. i hope it does cause it will mean it will do well for me. good luck with it!!

I grew mine on a windowsill happily for a while. It needs similar conditions to N. lowii, but is more tolerant. I'd say 50-65 at night, 50s preffered. Temps in the day can be in the 80s, it skyrockets to 90 in mygreenhouse daily, and even my N. lowii and rajah don't seem to care.
smile_m_32.gif

Thats too warm at night Scott. Try to drop it to around 50F. This plant is nothing but a true highlander. The day temps are fine, however.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Mar. 25 2005,8:45)]Thats too warm at night Scott. Try to drop it to around 50F. This plant is nothing but a true highlander. The day temps are fine, however.
I don't have the means to get the temps down that low. If I put it on the lowest shelf, the daytime temps will be in the mid-to-upper 70s, and the nighttime temps may be in the mid-60s.

Do what I did when I grew highland Nepenthes indoors, put icepacks around it.
smile.gif
Works fine!

Good idea, and they don't lower the humidity like a refridgerator does.

Hey there,
I've been growing ephippiata for almost a year now, and, for me, it's quite tollerant. I've got it in a tank, so humidity is not an issue, but it grew just fine on the deck railing last summer.

Also, while Dustin may be right about 50 degrees for best growth, mine almost never experiences temps below 58 (though night temps don't go above around 63 or 64 on the warmest nights), and it has been growing very well. Got a new, bigger pitcher on the way as I type.

Back