Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dustin,
    Our N. merrilliana is about 20 inches across (give or take). Wish the traps would be larger than a softball, because the species has the reputation for huge pitchers. This might require a very large, old plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trent, that greenhouse looks really nice.

Where did you get the plans, and about how much did it cost to build?

I would love to build a greenhouse in the backyard (ideally, the back door would open right into the greenhouse), and find a plan for one that is sturdy, roomy and inexpensive, yet can be incrementally upgraded (i.e. - start with cheap plastic walls, and gradually replacing it with better quality panels).
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My father is a structural engineer and he designed our greenhouse to meet code. The cost of the lumber, nails, concrete, bench materials and other permanent parts cost only a few hundred dollars. The shade cloth and plastic covering is replaced as needed and the cost is ongoing. Our side walls are only covered in plastic during the winter, in summer itís just shade cloth - except for the north wall and the roof, which are covered in plastic year round. We got indirectly hit by two hurricanes. Our greenhouse was exposed to 100mph winds twice in a two week period. No damage. Not even torn plastic or shade cloth. Mind you, trees were being uprooted, the roof came off part of the airport, and our little greenhouse didnít even feel it.
    Thereís never enough room. No sooner do we build the greenhouse do we fill it up and now it needs to be expanded. If anyone out there wants to build their own greenhouse, build it WAY larger than you think youíll need.

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    trunc. X veitchii is an awesome plant and raff X veitchii as well. Always a sucker for a flared peristome with a couple stripes. The Sarrs outside look very nice too. Seems your backyard is a dangerous place if your under a couple inches tall. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great plants and setup Trent.

I take it from your explanation of the greenhouse coverings, you are in a climate that has warm and humid summers?

I was also wondering how you go about watering all the plants? At around 130 plants I'm guessing my collection is a fraction the size of yours. Hand watering for me every few days is easily a 10-15 minute task. I could not imagine doing it by hand with a collection the size of yours?

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice growing area there,every thing has great colour [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Bye for now julian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the compliments!
    Yes, Aaron J, we are located in south Florida - can't get more hot and humid unless you're in tropical Asia where Neps are native.
    Michelle is the head grower, which means she makes sure everything is watered as needed - every day. Watering all the Sarracenia can take over an hour. We have 100gal per day r/o system and we also collect rain water. There is a sump pump attached to a hose which is used to water everything. Nothing is automated. Michelle mists the Neps at least daily, if not more, and heavily waters as needed. It's a wonderful way to spend the day, and I wish it was me! It's not grueling work, it's fun, and sometimes I'm jealous. But, I look forward to weekends when I can mist the neps and drench the Sarrs. It is hard work, but not negative and bothersome (like my day job). All of the Sarrs are grown on benches in full sun, they are not in trays of water, so they need to be watered daily (in the summer, the rains help a lot). I think the plants get a higher level of individual attention being that they are maintained by hand. It's a labor of love.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trent:

Congrats on your beautifully-grown plants. In spite of being favored with the conditions and climate that permits me to grow highlanders outdoors, sometimes one pines for the conditions necessary to grow merillianas, amps and bicals to their true potential.

BRgds,

Jay

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast