What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Babushka pitcher!

Found something curiously intersting today.

I went to pull up a leaf at the back of one of my N. vents to see how it's pitcher was doing and it would not budge. So I spun the plant around to have a look why, figuring it was hooked on something, and........

Babuska pitchers:
BabushkaPitcher.jpg

And the whole plant:
BabushkaVent.jpg

The funny thing is that this pitcher should have been much larger than the one it has grown in, so it is well and truly stuck!

So unlike the true babushka dolls, this'll not be pulled apart!

AJ

LOL! Nice!
smile_n_32.gif

Nice plant, btw!

Capslock

Thanks Caps,

The plant is a boy and has grown to that size from a small 10-12cm plant in about 16 months..

AJ

Very nice Aaron! great picture!!

-Jc

Hi Aaron
Wow thats mad
smile_k_ani_32.gif
.The Raff next to it is producing some nice pitchers.
Bye for now Julian

Its funny how Neps develop pitchers even when in very odd circumstances, yet refuse to pitcher when conditions seem perfect!
My N. ventricosa had a similar pitcher in pitcher a while back, and now I discover another one that grew trapped between the drip tray and the hanging basket. Poor thing couldn't even inflate
confused.gif

cheers

bill

Wow Aaron,

You must be doing something right. That is quick to that size!
How is your N. 'Red Leopard' doing, btw? Mine are growing like crazy!

Cheers,

Joe

Dude that's really hilarious. I remember seeing a pic on, i think borneo exotics' website with a N. ampullaria like that.

that happened to my ventrata plant i have a picture of

Try four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, etc. See how many you can get!

Julian,

Raff is going along nicely and starting to vine. This is the biggest and would be around 14cm:
RaffPitcherApril05.jpg

Joe,

Red Leopard is going great. Vine is up around 50cm but no intermediates or uppers yet. In this shot its dead center in the cream pot:
RedLeopardApril05.jpg

AJ

Hi Aaron
Yes i was right that is very nice,mines sulking after the winter and not doing a lot at the mo.The plants are looking super healthy the whole growing area looks kinda warm but cool if you know what i meen,very tropical
smile.gif

Bye for now julian

Very nice, Aaron! Do you feed or anything to encourage growth?
I notice all the hanging plants in the photo all seem to be roughly the same size....

Cheers,

Joe

I think I will try that on purpose. It's awesome

Julian,

The glasshouse is really stating to fill so it's looking more jungle-like. I have also encouraged a few other plants to grow in there as I like it to feel more like a jungle than a sterile glasshouse.

Joe,

No feeding from me as they get all they need form the bugs that inhabit the glasshouse. I have a colony of ants that make up most of the food but as I leave the roof vent always open there is also plenty of bees, wasps, flies, mosquitoes, etc. I actually have at least one native frog that has moved in too. It's scared the bejeezers out of me a few times while watering.

The photo is a bit deceptive in terms of plant size but most are fairly close. I pretty much only use hanging pots for those plants that have long tendrils.

I took a few shots of the whole glasshouse yesterday so I'll update my thread in the Glasshouse forum in a sec.

AJ

arron aweoms rafflesiana. Do you grow merriliana? I'd like to see it as I love that plant and you probly would have a great example considering your other planst are crazy

Jess,

I do but have really struggled with it.

Given that my conditions are intermediate for the best part, it might not be quite warm enough for it. I also have a suspition it may have been getting too much light where it was. So I've moved it down low and will have to wait to see. Give me a few months!

AJ

Hi Aaron
My Merriliana stops growing over the winter but survives ok and returns to growth in the summer months i thought yours would have been ok really
Bye for now Julian

Just found another I thought I'd add for the sake of keeping thread numbers down...

N. vent x raff:
168_6868.jpg

Here's another that is from Dewy's N.judith Finn post:
flowers_007.sized.jpg

Back