What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is mine different?

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
Ok I ordered a Copelandii off of E-Bay and this is what it looks like in the pic

But when I got mine,it looked totally different.You can see the pic of mine in the general forums under the topic"I got new plants".I can't seem to be able to post 2 pics in one post,sorry.Anyways,are there more than one types of N.copelandii?Thanks

smile.gif
*Niki*(Trapper7)

See this is what mine looks like

*Niki*(Trapper7)

The person selling it either gave you a different species or you have lower pitchers

I don't think you have the same species

Ok well I have to tell you that the person that posted that pic wasn't the person I bought it from.I just figured that there was only one species of N.copelandii so I used that pic as an example to show how different mine was.Ok so I wasn't cheated right?Thanks for your help  
smile.gif
 *Niki*

So does anybody know what species I have?And what species is the other one?

Can you get a frontal pic. of yours?

That is a frontal pic...isn't it?I thought it was,lol.Let me try,lol.*Niki*

There is, by definition, only one species of N. copelandii. ;)

Oh, and I think I also ordered an N. copelandii from the seller you mention. Haven't got the plants yet, have to wait and see.

Here's another pic of mine

Ok so if there's only one species then why is mine so different?*Niki*(Trapper7)

The first picture is the upper pitcher of N. copelandii

Yours is typical for a N. copelandii with lower pitchers.

Tony

I concur with Tony. The ebay pic is clearly of upper pitchers; yours is showing lower pitchers. They tend to look quite different. I am not familiar with that species, not enough to ID it from a photo of the pitchers, but it is reasonable to assume you got what you ordered.

Try doing a google image search for N. copelandii, and see if what turns up resembles your plant.

Many samples of lower/upper pitchers may look like they are from different plants, but both of those are definitely coplandii.

Yup, what they all said. Sellers often tempt potential buyers with awesome photos of mature pitchers, then you end up getting the true species, yes, but without the marvelous pitcher featured at the auction.

Thanks guys,I really appreciate the help!
smile.gif
I actually really like how mine looks.Ok so later on I should be getting those yellow looking pitchers,but ontop of the plant right?I e-mailed the person I got it from and she said that perhaps she grabbed the wrong one by accident,but now I'll just tell her what you all said
smile.gif
There is a tag on the plant tho and it does say N.copelandii.Anyways,thanks again for your help!
smile.gif
*Niki*

the first is an upper pitcher, porbably on a VERY mature plant with a vne or something, yours is a very large, nice one, however it wont have uppers for a while

Thanks for all the help guys
cool.gif
I just ordered 2 more of those plants from the same nursery.Even tho it doesn't have those yellow pitchers(yet)I really like how the lower pitchers look
smile_n_32.gif
Thanks again!*Niki*
smile_m_32.gif

Back