What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone name a plant?

Est

War. War never changes.
Staff member
Howdy all, I've been thinking for a while of how to creativly use my limited growing space. That's when it hit my how "in the box" I've been thinking and figured I should snoop around and see if I can figure out some plants I could just grow outside. So, I was wondering if any of you wonderful ladies and/or gents could help me come up with a plant falling in at least some of the following criteria:
*Nepenthe
*Highland (Or able to withstand highland conditions well)
*Capable of taking a good dose of sunlight
*Prefferably vining.
*Prefferably be able to take a cooler winter.
Um, that's really all I can think of for now. I live so close to the ocean that it'd be a shame to not grow any highlanders outside when the climate is so fitting! I'm not sure how many plants fit in these guidelines, but that's where you guys come in!
smile_m_32.gif
Thanks in advance to everyone.

--Jonathan
smile.gif

Hi Johnathan,

Could you give us a better idea of your seasons and they're conditions? What are the high's and low's for temps and humidity?

Many highlanders can take (or even appreciate) a lot of sun, so that part shouldn't be a problem. However, the humidity & temps are more of a deciding factor.

Gotta go along with Dave. How cold is your coldest winter night? How low is the humidity on your most scorching summer day? N. khasiana is the toughest species. We grow it here in south Florida in full sun, and in winter, it tolerates temps down into the mid thirties F with dry, northerly gusts blowing. But this may be mild compared to your cinditions...

Well, according to his profile, he lives in "Coastal California."
I wonder if he lives near "Nepsaroundthehouse?"
I think it's a pretty good stretch of coast there that seems ideal for highlanders, isn't it?
Before any more info is given out, I would go with some intermediate(maybe highland) forms of N. alata. Trent has mentioned seeing some grown in full Miami sun, and they vine.

Cheers,

Joe

What part of Coastal California are you at?
The calif. coast is pretty long.

I was afraid it'd come down to the specifics. :p Alright, well, let's see.
Temp:
Day- Never beyond 80s, often 60s-70s
Night- upper 40's
Humidity:
Morning/night- Upper 70%s-Upper 80%s
Afternoon- upper 30%s-50%s (Could be supplemented)

How's that sound? We never get snow here, and things usually never drop below the 40s. During the winter things get a bit more in the lower 60s, there's a bit of frost on the roofs in the morning, but none of my other plants grown outside (including VFTs) have ever really seemed to mind. If you need any other info just let me know, sorry for not supplying it in the first place. Oh, and btw, I live in Aptos, Ca. It's near Monterey and I know that we have/had some growers there, one of them told me that he grows highlanders outside. Thanks again
smile_m_32.gif

--Jonathan T

Oh hey Trent BTY the N. coccienica (sp?) Degroot clone can stand frost down to 28 F, I was not home and it got left out accidentally. Of course mine is 2 feet high and about 3 feet wide.
Jonathan you should try out different species and see what works. My best here (highland outside) is N. spathulata which might be a bit unusual for hardy but you never know. My best advice is try your handout. And when it frosts brign then in a put them in the bathtub or something.

Well, the frost is only ever really light, and then, it's usually just on the roofs (the plants never get any frost on 'em). It's just because a combination of the humidity and it getting cold, the temp will never drop down to or below freezing (as can be seen above), so I'm not too worried about that. I suppose I could try a number of things, and if there are things that don't end up making it outside, can always bring them inside, but as I've said my space is fairly limited. That, and I really like a nice vining Nep out there. Thanks for the suggestions.

--Jonathan

N. khasiana, ventricosa, and possibly sanguinea and alata, should take those conditions well.

I have no experience growing neps outside. that said, it occured to me that the advantages of hybrid vigor could be applied here, maybe a hybrid of the species listed above.
just a thought

Chris

I live in San Diego about 5 miles from the coast. Winter temps are similar to yours, but the summer temps get a little warmer.
i have N. ventricosa, N. sanguinea "red", N. X judith finn and N. X ventrata growing outside year round. If you want a fast growing vining nep go with the ventrata. Mine is popping new pitchers all over the place.
smile_m_32.gif

Alright, sounds good, everyone! Thanks to all that posted! I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to reply until now but things have been CRAZY for me and I had the biggest Bio test of all time, so sorry for the delay. Thanks again!

--Jonathan T

Back