What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happened?

Well, they aren't happy for one thing!

No doubt its too hot for them. That kind of damage looks like hot and dry damage, AKA low humidity, hot temps. Definetly start ventilating and maybe spray some distilled water in the air to bump up humidity, or buy an ultrasonic humidifier, and no it isn't a goner, looks ok to me, just a bit....burned.

EDIT: on the other 2 plants, look like N. fusca, uh, they don't look like they will make it...wow those are some serious temps you have in there.

It's likely the two in the lower pic are goners, though keep trying-you never know. From what I can see of the lone plant in the top picture, it "looks" like your growing tip is still good, so I think that has a good chance, depending on what happens from this point on.

Cheers,

Joe

I'm so sad
smile_h_32.gif
I really like my Fusca's
smile_h_32.gif
I feel like such a bad plant mom.I know you guys all say that everyone has killed their first plant but I still feel like poop about it
smile_h_32.gif
Well maybe I can fix it now that I know what to do.Hey how much is one of those ultrasonic humidifiers?And where can I get one?Home Hardware or something like that?Would that solve my problem?Thanks for your help guys. *Niki*
smile_h_32.gif

Hardware store would have a humidifier of some sort, better chance would be like a local pharmacy...they run for about $30 USD....I could probably fix that N. fusca problem for you Nikki....pm me if you want details.

I let my N. coccinea get full sun for a couple of days, and the leaves turned reddish brown. They didn't die, just looked discolored. Now, I have the plants behind a blind that provides perhaps 60% shade, and they're doing great.

I think your greenhouse may need some shade cloth.

Ive got a truncata and a raff giant that had wet leaves and then some very bright sunshine came out and roasted them good and proper there still recovering now ,looks unsightly but there pulling through.
Bye for now julian

What's a shade cloth?*Niki*

it is a green shade cloth(although comes in other colours and forms) which provides shade for the plants, this will sort the too much sun problem.
It is availabvle from garden centres, ask if you are not sure where it is.

Hi, Chesara,
Surely the wet leaf/bright light damage thing is a myth?
If anyone has an explanation as to how a drop of water can focus light onto the leaf it's sitting on I'd love to hear it. So far as I can see the physics just don't work that way.
I think unexpectedly strong light (with the leaves wet or dry) is the problem.......If the plant is graduallly acclimatised to full light then it should be OK
T.

Hi Tony
Its the only thing i can think that done this to them. nothing else was effected just the ones at the back,all new growth is ok so cant really think what else it could be??? maybe it was heat not light ?? and why just those two??
 Bye for now  julian

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tonyc @ April 22 2005,3:51)]Surely the wet leaf/bright light damage thing is a myth?
If anyone has an explanation as to how a drop of water can focus light onto the leaf it's sitting on I'd love to hear it. So far as I can see the physics just don't work that way.
Hi Tony,

no, it is not a myth. Although plants like Nepenthes don't show it - this might be due to the fact they are growing in the tropics where they have to cope with this situation. Main concern normally is with more sensible forms of grass (don't water when sun is out) and cacti after dark winters they stood inside.

The refraction index of water is different from the refraction index of air, so due to its shape a bulb of water works like a normal lense of glass. In a physics book you'll find how these lenses work.

Joachim

Hi, Joachim,
Um, I understand the physics behind lenses. But I can't find a scientific site that explains how a pure water droplet can scorch a leaf.....
On the contrary, I can find many that say it's a myth, for example:

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%....rch.pdf

I think this is one of those stories that's been passed down the years with no evidence to back it up.

Regards,

tonyc

it is no myth...........spray an african violet when its getting direct sun and watch what happens

you really arnt getting it, are you?
This has been experienced by me, my grandma, and my late great grandma and all of my grandmas friends who grow african violets.
So youre kinda outnumbered.If youre so sure of yourself, throw water over an african violet and put it in the sun for a few hours.

thats just a afican violet, lets see what happens with other plants.

If its only happening on the AV then that should tell you something right there. In order for it to be valid you would need a control.

Its like saying "every time I eat pizza I throw up, I'm never going to eat again because eating makes me throw up" Well its just that pizza try something else.

Now you may say well other plants have better means of "sunblock" then the VA well if thats true get a plant that is even LESS then a VA and see if that happens.

you guys are basing this "myth" on junk science and assumtions.

Something is not proven to be true just because lots of people believe it.
smile.gif

tonyc

True, but does everyone here use the exact media recommended in the book they have read for Nepenthes, or have we tweeked with it and found something that works a little better for our growing conditions?
But I am off-subject.

Cheers,

Joe

Heh!
Good point. My Neps all do fine in LFS, or a mix of LFS and orchid bark for the hardier species (if I'm feeling cheap).
Personally, I can't imagine using the nine-ingredient 'de-luxe' compost recommended by a famous grower.

But, 'ye cannae change the laws of physics' Every .edu and .gov website I've seen agrees that the idea of water droplets acting as lenses to scorch leaves is junk science.

tonyc

the only way a drop of water would beable to focus light in a way that would damage a leaf would be if it was some how able to stay suspneded in mid air several inches above the leaf.

Think of it like this.

People pften use a magnifying glass to burn ants and other things. Well you need to focus the lense so you get a enough concentrateed light on one area long enough to to burn it. Well you can just lay the magnifying glass on the ant and expect it to burn (assuming the ant would stay still). the closer the glass the more surface area the light is being focused upon. the further away you pull the glass the same amount of light is focused in a smaller area there for increasing teh engery that particular area is experiencing.

thats why this isn't even a myth. Its a misinformation perpetuated by ignorance and people telling people what they heard, not what their experience was.

Back