Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What happened?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I let my N. coccinea get full sun for a couple of days, and the leaves turned reddish brown. They didn't die, just looked discolored. Now, I have the plants behind a blind that provides perhaps 60% shade, and they're doing great.

I think your greenhouse may need some shade cloth.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive got a truncata and a raff giant that had wet leaves and then some very bright sunshine came out and roasted them good and proper there still recovering now ,looks unsightly but there pulling through.
    Bye for now julian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's a shade cloth?*Niki*
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is a green shade cloth(although comes in other colours and forms) which provides shade for the plants, this will sort the too much sun problem.
    It is availabvle from garden centres, ask if you are not sure where it is.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Chesara,
    Surely the wet leaf/bright light damage thing is a myth?
    If anyone has an explanation as to how a drop of water can focus light onto the leaf it's sitting on I'd love to hear it. So far as I can see the physics just don't work that way.
    I think unexpectedly strong light (with the leaves wet or dry) is the problem.......If the plant is graduallly acclimatised to full light then it should be OK
    T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tony
    Its the only thing i can think that done this to them. nothing else was effected just the ones at the back,all new growth is ok so cant really think what else it could be maybe it was heat not light ?? and why just those two??
    Bye for now julian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (tonyc @ April 22 2005,3:51)]Surely the wet leaf/bright light damage thing is a myth?
    If anyone has an explanation as to how a drop of water can focus light onto the leaf it's sitting on I'd love to hear it. So far as I can see the physics just don't work that way.
    Hi Tony,

no, it is not a myth. Although plants like Nepenthes don't show it - this might be due to the fact they are growing in the tropics where they have to cope with this situation. Main concern normally is with more sensible forms of grass (don't water when sun is out) and cacti after dark winters they stood inside.

The refraction index of water is different from the refraction index of air, so due to its shape a bulb of water works like a normal lense of glass. In a physics book you'll find how these lenses work.

Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Joachim,
    Um, I understand the physics behind lenses. But I can't find a scientific site that explains how a pure water droplet can scorch a leaf.....
    On the contrary, I can find many that say it's a myth, for example:

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%....rch.pdf

I think this is one of those stories that's been passed down the years with no evidence to back it up.

Regards,

tonyc

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast