What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happened?

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
My Copelandii Nep is looking pretty sad.I got it about a week ago,and it had nice green leaves,now they're turning all brown
smile_h_32.gif
I have it in my mini greenhouse outside.The lowest temp here is 5C and the highest temp has been 17C.I water with distilled water.Is it just in shock?Did I do something wrong? *Niki* (Trapper7)

Did you keep it shaded for a few days after potting it up? If not, it might have went into shock...

Cheers,

Joe

It came potted from the nursery.If it is in shock,what can I do to help it "relax"? *Niki*

I'm sorry I'm not sure what you mean by "how wet?".I have a one of those lid things under it that I keep the water in,so it's always got water.*Niki*

is it standing in water via the "tray method" ? if so I woudl take it out of that. Depending on how deep the pot is standing water can be a bad thing. Neps don't like to be standing in water they like an airy substrate.

Thats part of the problem, overly wet roots. Let the soil dry out for a few days. Watering Nepenthes, via the tray method, is a big no-no, unless its a swampy species. N. copelandii is a highland species and it absolutely hates to have its feet wet.

Oh darn!That's so much for the info guys! I will definetly take it out of the water now.Thanks again! *Niki*
smile.gif

Isn't copelandii more of an intermediate/highlander than a true highland species? Temps of 5-17c sound a bit on the cool side to me.
Regards,
tonyc.

Well it may be cool,but when I open the door to the mini greenhouse,it's really nice and warm and hunid in there.*Niki*

I meant humid.

I don't think so Tony, my N. copelandii is tolerant of growing in true highland conditions. It drops to around 8-10C at night in the greenhouse and it hasn't missed a beat yet. I do agree, 5C is a bit chilly but it shouldn't cause yellowing leaves.

They're not yellow leaves,they're brown.It is my Orchid in another post that is yellow.Also I have 2 N.fusca's and they're also turning brown.I'm guessing cause I was using the water tray for them too,so I took them out as well.*Niki*

Hi, again.
I keep mine at a min of 10c and it seems happy, but I've heard of people growing it in warmer conditions too. I think it's quite a tolerant species.
copelandii1.jpg

So the leaves that have turned brown on mine,which is almost all of them,will they fall off and grow new ones or will they just turn green again? Thanks
smile.gif
*Niki*

Are they dead, crinkly brown or sunburnt reddish brown? there's a huge difference as to what they mean.

They're crinkly brown
smile_h_32.gif
What does that mean?*Niki*

Here's a pic of my poor baby
smile_h_32.gif

Is it a goner?*Niki*

They look like they got way too much heat/sun scorch.  As mentioned in other thread, may be 17C outside, but in your little hot house, sitting in all day sun, IMO they've been scorched.  Yuck--what a sad sight.  Given time, they may form new growth at leaf axils (where leaf meets stems), but I'm not a Nepenthes expert.  I wonder what nepenthes gracilis thinks after seeing these pics.
smile_h_32.gif

Niki, you said your greenhouse is identical to mine, right? I have mine indoors in an east facing window. It gets about 5 hours of morning sun then shade for the rest of the day. My lowlanders and orchids love it in there. My highlanders grow outside year round.
I also read in another thread by you that your greenhouse gets really hot and no ventilation. I had a problem with no air circulation and fungus was starting to pop up here and there.
I solved that by putting 2 12 volt computer power supply fans inside the greenhouse and I have a 3rd one actually built into the side, drawing air into the greenhouse.
heres pics of the fans...
fan%201.JPG

fan%202.JPG
No more fungus, and the 3rd fan is used to control the humidity levels.
the plants in the pics look like they got scorched by the sun. my N. coccinea looked like that when I first got it and put it in the sun(stoopid mistake). I put that plant in the window where the greenhouse now sits and it recovered in about 1 and a half months.
Your plants still have green down by the base of the leaves, that's a good sign. I think they can be saved.

I guess I should have put a WARNING on the pics
smile_h_32.gif
*Niki*

Back