0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was named by Bill Baumgartl.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's really nice, Drew. It's really a worthwhile cultivar. As it gains size it will get even more spectacular. We would love to have one too, but afraid our summer heat might be too much for it, and would not want to experiment with such a valuable plant.
    Peter gets a fair price for it. It's a matter of supply and demand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Drew
    Id like to see some more photos of this one if there going?fantastic looking plant [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Bye for now julian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Trent @ April 21 2005,9:10)]That's really nice, Drew. It's really a worthwhile cultivar. As it gains size it will get even more spectacular. We would love to have one too, but afraid our summer heat might be too much for it, and would not want to experiment with such a valuable plant.
    Peter gets a fair price for it. It's a matter of supply and demand.
    That's just it. Some may see this as a ridiculous price, but there are not many out there, and if Drew has no problem paying $200 for it, what is the big deal?
    For any on the cp list serve who remembered recently, when Brooks Garcia offered mature divisions of S. 'Leah Wilkerson' for $75, and some people ripped into him for being a pirate. Beyond my personal price range at this time, but if I was a big Sarracenia nut(I would be if I had better growing conditions), and funds were not a problem, I would not have thought twice about taking him up on that offer.
    Boy I went off topic a little.
    Um....Great Plant Drew!
    Whew! Great recovery.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Jason_In_CO @ April 20 2005,9:43)]who registered it as a cultivar?
    Apparently, the name is not officially registered with IRA as a cultivar. See
    http://www.omnisterra.com/bot....rch=all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (BobZ @ April 21 2005,12:47)]
    Quote[/b] (Jason_In_CO @ April 20 2005,9:43)]who registered it as a cultivar?
    Apparently, the name is not officially registered with IRA as a cultivar. See
    http://www.omnisterra.com/bot....rch=all
    Bob,
    Is there an advantage to not registering it?
    Also, is the cross itself 'briggsiana', or a particular clone of that cross between N. lowii and N. ventricosa?

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob is right. I don't think there is a description of the 'P.D.' cultivar anywhere in 'The Savage Garden'. Even the name, briggsiana, is not accepted by the Registration Authority. The psedo-scientific names only apply to the old Victorian hybrids before the Cultivar system was internationally accepted. Same goes for some of our favorite Florida hybrids, like Splendiana, Redlanderi, Madisonii, etc.; not valid names in the eyes of horticultural nomenclature. BUT...these names are commonly used amongst cp'ers. The reason why is simple. Example: If I say to you, "I have anamensis by maxima for trade"...its a fairly broad statement, and probably raises more questions concerning the plant. If I say, "I have Splendiana for trade."- then you know exactly what I'm talking about. It's Clyde and Bruce's hybrid of kampotiana by maxima. (I used anamensis instead of kampotiana, because they are supposed synonyms, with anamensis being the correct name-something we're not convinced of, but that's another story).
    To call Drew's plant N. briggsiana 'Peter D'Amato' is to use orchid hybrid nomenclature-reserved only for orchids. The correct name would be simply N. 'Peter D'Amato', according to International Registration standards.
    It would be an easy plant to register, and someone should do it other than Peter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't there a pic of it in "SG" with a mention of it? Or am I going mad?
    Yes, somebody should register it, especially with that price tag.

Cheers,

Joe

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast