What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. x briggsiana var. 'peter d'amato

Hello

Wow that is just a breath taking plant. I really don't think people in the CP world don't know what and expensive plant is. I know people in that are into orchids that will shell out $150 to $200 and don't even think it is expensive until it hits about $1000. That being said any nice large Nepenthes (other then the mass produced hybrids) will fetch close to $100 on ebay.

Yon have to consider you self lucky to have such a rare beautiful plant.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

Hi all:

The mix lowii X ventricosa is spectacular just as is the mix lowii X truncata. Sometimes these hybrids are rarer than the species themselves, but much easier to grow. Thus, it's ludicrous to say that it's a waste of money.
A waste of money would be to spend 10 dollars on a ventricosa to see it die a couple of months later.

Gus

Drew,

Before you bought this plant, did you ask around for it? When you told Don Elkins (my best friend by the way) that you bought that plant he called me right away. The reason he called me was because he knew that I had several 12" rooted cuttings of that plant available for 1/4 of the price you paid and he felt terrible that you paid so much for it.

Before you start shelling out large sums of money for plants you really want so badly...ask some of your friends that aren't members of the forums. They can find things for you that will probably never be offered for sale, or at best can save you a few hundred dollars. It's a funny thing about this clone. I had them listed on my website for months and nobody was interested in them. I sold out everything else I had except the 'Peter D'Amato' plants and another Briggsiana clone called "Atlatna Giant"...so I gave them away for free. It pays off in the long run to do a little homework first by starting with your other 'non-forum' friends.

Have fun growing your plant. It will get large very fast and will produce lots of basal growths. The upper pitchers have a wide flaring, round shark tooth peristome nearly 4 inches across. They're very cool.

Phil

I wouldn't buy a plant that's over $60!!!...-_-
I mean its a plant! It'll die sooner or later, it just stands there growing and growing and growing and then splat!, it dies.
I don't see the point of buying a plant worth $200...o_O'

What if something wrong goes with it? You would loose alot of money...specially if you were smart enough to buy again and run the big risk of loosing it again...I dunno...

why do ppl drop $500+ on a pure bred dog when a mutt would generally make a much better pet and have less vet bills? cause they want to. my personal cap on plants is about $80ish; snakes $250ish(i saw a pair of a new morph of retics on kingsnake that were for sale for $75,000 yesterday). if some one wants to pay $200 for a plant why not? there are quite a few orchids out there that make the most expensive nep look like pocket change.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ April 22 2005,2:55)]why do ppl drop $500+ on a pure bred dog when a mutt would generally make a much better pet and have less vet bills? cause they want to. my personal cap on plants is about $80ish; snakes $250ish(i saw a pair of a new morph of retics on kingsnake that were for sale for $75,000 yesterday). if some one wants to pay $200 for a plant why not? there are quite a few orchids out there that make the most expensive nep look like pocket change.
Well-spoken, though mutts are starting to cost $$(though not the $500 some pure-breds do). I have seen Labradoodles becoming popular and fetching(pun) a $100-$150 price in our local paper.

Cheers,

Joe

me too, saw some beautiful husky/lab mixs. almost picked one up till i saw the $200 price tag. granted most mutts arent running anywhere near this

My brother has two French Bulldogs at about $1200 apiece! Personally, I have two ex-racing Greyhounds, which they basically give away (highly recommended pets!)

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ April 22 2005,3:51)]My brother has two French Bulldogs at about $1200 apiece! Personally, I have two ex-racing Greyhounds, which they basically give away (highly recommended pets!)

Capslock
I have trouble trying to imagine a bulldog with a French accent.......

smile_n_32.gif

Hellooooooooo Drew! How ya doing?

I think its a spectacular plant, and if it brings you a lot of joy and peace, its worth every dime you spent.

Thanks for showing it off...its just lovely. Good growing!

Drew. That's a good one! I have paid a lot more for a lot less.

I have been eyeing this plant for years now, but it was a bit pricey for me. Which leads me to ask Phil about his response....

"The reason he called me was because he knew that I had several 12" rooted cuttings of that plant available for 1/4 of the price. It's a funny thing about this clone. I had them listed on my website for months and nobody was interested in them."

Whats the name of your website Phil?? I would love to check it out.

Thanks,

...why did I even bother?...I forgot you guys are obsessed with these new-kinds ^_^

This is not a new kind of Nepenthes.

Nepenthes xBriggsiana 'Peter D'Amato' has been around for many years. The cross was originally made in Germany and seed was imported to the US by Chuck Powell. Several people obtained this seed, Bill Baumgartle being one, and it was in Bill's seed batch that 'Peter D'Amato' was born. This happened some 10-15 years ago. I've been growing my plant for about 7 or 8 years now. People are now beginning to realize it's beauty and worth. $200 is not an unheard of price for a superior Nepenthes clone, especially a hybrid. Some of the very best of the hybrids are far more valuable than the species.

Drew was willing to pay that price because he knows he is an exceptional Nepenthes grower and was not worried about it just up and dieing on him. Some of us out here are pretty educated in Nepenthes culture and when we invest any amount of money in a plant we fully intend to exhaust every resource possible to nurture it to its full potential and to make that investment grow. Speaking of which...that Paphiopedilum sanderianum I paid $600 for 15 years ago was auctioned off and brought me $2,450.00. Not bad for just a 'plant', eh?  

Robin: I took my website down about a month ago because I sold out or gave away everything on it. Perhaps I'll re-enable it later in the summer when I have produced more stock.

Phil

Hey Phil, might I ask why you auctioned off such an expensive plant if it was worth that much money?

Dustin-

I decided to sell it and all my other paph species when I changed my greenhouse over to cool conditions; aka.. unheated during the winter. My interests were in other areas, mainly hardier type plants and even back then I would receive frequent requests for divisions of it so I let everyone else fight over it. It went to a very good home...(in Japan, shhhhhh!)
smile.gif

Phil

nothing is a waste of money or too expensive if you don't regret spending the money.

IMO

Ah I see, rather than fight the requests and possibly jeopardize its survival, rather sell it to a good caretaker and get a nice return gift! lol

dang this thread is long...

Hey Drew I'm glad you finally took pics of it! I"ve been wanting to see it ever since you told me you sent Peter that check.

I think its worth it. At least knowing how much you wanted this plant before you even had it, or was able to get it. Glad its doing well for you.

Phil,
You've got sanderianum? It would be my example of an orchid that commands multi-hundreds of dollars.
I'd like to know more about how you grow it/them. The hybrids do great for us here in so fla (gotta compot of Prince Edward of York ready to move into individuals-they're close to a foot across), but have been afraid of required night temp drops during summer for pure sanderianum...any comments?

Back