Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Showering nepenthes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must be mad, but is the one on the left a n. klossi?[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Good Shower!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

...whats wrong with tap water? Does it kills them?
    Mom says: "Its stupid to collect plants that all look alike! Get a new hobie!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well tap water has harmful particles that can harm the plants root system

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Well thats nonsense! I've been watering my plants with the water that comes right out of my hose and nothing ever happened. O.o
    Mom says: "Its stupid to collect plants that all look alike! Get a new hobie!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (eplants02 @ April 21 2005,12:31)]well tap water has harmful particles that can harm the plants root system
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Well thats nonsense! I've been watering my plants with the water that comes right out of my hose and nothing ever happened. O.o
    Both of you are correct, depending on where you live. Some of us are fortunate to live in areas where the tap water is low in dissolved minerals and we can use it on our plants. There are many folks using expensive water when their tap water is just fine. I have been using tap water for decades.

Others are not so fortunate. The tap water in many areas is quite mineral laden and those poor souls must used rain, deionized, or distilled water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepenthes are generally tolerant of all tapwaters. The level of minerals in tapwater is not harmful to nepenthes species.

The danger is that repeated use of tapwater builds up minerals in the pot over time. These minerals precipitate out and build up on the roots, stifling the small hairs on them, and killing them. If you use tapwater, repot yearly or flush through with rainwater/DI water every now and then to wash the minerals out.

If you use a compost based on live sphagnum moss, do not use tapwater ever. The minerals will rapidly lead to the death of the moss and its subsequent decomposition, and the suffocating of the nep roots in it.

Hope that all makes sense. Just remember, for Nepenthes, tapwater is not the demon it is for most other CPs. I have a suspicion that - as is common for highland plants - the neps from high elevations will be more susceptible to the effects of minerals in water, but I don't know this.

Cheers.
    Rob Howe.

Homepage
    http://www.ukorchidforum.com
    CP growlist

Seeking: Drosera hilaris (seed)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Griffin the plant you see in my photo with redish leaves is a typical x Miranda. That just get bright color on one of my window's.
    http://www.geocities.com/southerntropicals

As the sun shine's through the clouds above the table top mountains,nothing more can be seen then a beautiful landscape of glowing Heliamphora's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice colors, man!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast