What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My mom is an idiot.

I didn't have time to water the plants yesterday, and i asked my mom to do it. She said she would, and now, i have most likely lost three plants: N. bicalcarata, ampullaria, and madagascariensis. She PROMISED she would water them, and she didn't. Is there any chance i can salvage these? N. bical still has a green grow point, but amp has no green to be seen, and madagascariensis has just a little bit.

I'm thinking that your mom not watering your plants IS NOT the reason they're fairing poorly as of late. My plants can take a few days of the "dry" (its not dry but you know what I'm saying) I think the cause is probly from the stress of the green house failing. Thne perhaps the watering compounded this. Water them and make sure the evironmental parameters are as consistant as you can get them. IME its teh consistancy that is key.

i recently took my amp and bicalx amp out of there nice fairly controled tank and placed them on shelves alongside my Drosera. they havent skipped a beat. one day of not watering shouldnt hurt an amp in the slightest speaking from experiance.

Yeah I'm no expert,but I doubt that one day of not watering would do that to them. *Niki*

I serriously doubt one day would also unless they dried out all the way.

Well, i just talked to my mom about it, and she said that she watered them the day of the disaster (friday) once they were all back inside. I now believe that it was the disaster itself that caused this, and that this is a delayed reaction (like FSTP said). What puzzles me is that no other plants seem to be stressing out.

In my experience bical and amp. are sensitive to temp/light/humidity changes.

In a sort of related subject, You can save dehydrated plants by submerging them underwater. If you can't, just spray them and water them.
Plants wilt because they have low turgor pressure (not enough water in their cells). Sometimes watering isn't enough because there are already pockets of air in their... xylem? or phloem? well... their "veins". By soaking them you're making them re-absorb water into their cells (osmosis)
lol... that pretty much seems like common sense to me (and I'm betting you all probably knew this already) but my mom used to see a wilted plant and thought it was dead, so she threw it away. She gives up way too easily.
and HOLY COW she didn't know the leaves were the ones that photosynthesized... if anybody asks, I don't know her :p

perhaps these plants just got tossed around more when the green houses decided to go emulate a kite.

TunaSurprise, lucky for you that your mother is not an idiot after all since half of your genes are hers (assuming she's your birth mother).  Hope you can save your plants.

Nice one Tropics.

As for saving them, yes you can. Nepenthes worst enemy, that I have found out is the temperature.

Alpha do you do bio in your free-time? If so at least there is someone else but I relaly only do botany.

bio as in biology? sure. I'm a nature freak :p plants, animals, fungi, protists, I'm ready
smile.gif
(not really bacteria since my microscope isn't powerful enough but I've tried growing cyanobacteria) lol... I'm a weirdo... sometimes I just let things rot just for the sake of seeing how they rot and what stuff is in there. It's very interesting because there's always new stuff to see. one time there were TONS of nematodes. other times there are mites, strange maggot like things, fruit flies, etc.

Yep biology. Yeah I have a crappy microscope also. I will open a new topic so we don't take up this one with off topic stuff.

Back