Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grafting nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone tried grafting Nepenthes? Or is that just a dumb question? It would be interesting to see different kinds of pitchers on one plant. And maybe a slow grower grafted on to a fast grower will grow faster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep it's been done. Thanks for reminding me I mean to do so (to try). I think it was done by the Pietropaleos (sp?) so checkout their book. At least thats who I thin did it. Correct me if I am wrong though. It is not popular but has been done to several species. Maybe it was on of Gordon Cheer's books. Anyway It was done on fast species root stalks and slow growers tops. I would like to do one that is hamata and bical even though those are different growth areas.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you'd have to give the hamata portion highland conditions, and the bical portion lowland conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I know hence different growth areas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hence you'd have a very hard time doing it. you'd need a dual chamber ..chamber. when you gut the bottom plant new shoots would form and stay in the bottom chamber, anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. So it would be virtually impossible. But I would like to graft some highlanders together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information that it's possible to graft Nepenthes. Regarding grafting highlanders and lowlanders together, there's a possibility that the entire plant would acquire the cultural requirements of the root plant. It would be an interesting experiment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, it wouldn't because half (or whatever ratio) of the plant tissue. would be highland, half would be lowland.

but, for example, you get get away with a lowland species and a ventricosa or something similar that's highland but tolerates lowland conditions, or visca versa, without having to great each section in a seperate environment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast