Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raffesiana pics!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just sharing some pics of my Rafflesiana. Lowlander, now about 4-5 years old. The difference between the uppers and lowers is one very interesting trait in this plant which I like, another thing about this plant I love is its peristome!
    http://n-rafflesiana.mypicgallery.com/
    Got some questions also, this Rafflesiana is the normal type. I just bought a Bau Giant variation from Malesiana several weeks back. Would like to know somethings. Fristly, is it true the pitchers can really get up to 40cm? Malesiana says that in its description but I really find it hard to believe! Also , What factors are most important in bringing out max size of the pitcher? I know more light helps does it? And depriving the soil of nuitrients, does that help? Previously, I tried to get as large a lower pitcher as possible but as you can see from the photo, didnt acheive much! So, for the next 3?4?5?orso years, will be challenging myself to grow as large a pitcher as possible for my new raff giant.
    Hope you enjoyed the pics.!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Lam
    Lovely photos.I do like Raff and the difference between upper and lower is nice prefer uppers though.i have the giant white
    form,not really a giant at the mo but time will tell.
    Bye for now julian

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice.
    Mine has a ways to go before it will produce uppers for me. I too like the difference between the 2.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Wait a tick, you say your rafflesiana is 4-5 years old huh? How can you keep up with the stem? My raff is 2 years old and she is TALL and I'm afraid of cutting her down. So what did u do?
    Mom says: "Its stupid to collect plants that all look alike! Get a new hobie!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see this image of the giant form on ebay frequently:

I'm sure it's way above average. Judging from the naturalness of the shadows I don't think it's doctored so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow i never knew that they had a big difference like that well i never grew one
    ~Brandon~ aka ~Carnivorkid~
    Member of SEPACPS
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Andenes @ April 30 2005,4:42)]Wait a tick, you say your rafflesiana is 4-5 years old huh? How can you keep up with the stem? My raff is 2 years old and she is TALL and I'm afraid of cutting her down. So what did u do?
    Hi, oh yes, once the plant begins producing uppers, the stem does climb quite a bit. dont have a full pic of my plant but for me I live in 2-storey terrace house so I let my plant climb up a 3-metre long stick, and when it out climbs that, I hang ropes from the second level down so that it can pull itself up...and yes, i forgot ot mention, I'm from Singapore and I consider myself very lucky to have all the natural conditions for growing Lowlanders available here!

and, endparenthesis , sorry I didnt really catch the meaning of this sentence:
    "Judging from the naturalness of the shadows I don't think it's doctored so far."
    but that pitcher sure is large!

So, does anyone have info about Upping pitcher size?

lam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Lam_wn @ May 01 2005,4:01)]and, endparenthesis , sorry I didnt really catch the meaning of this sentence:
    "Judging from the naturalness of the shadows I don't think it's doctored so far."
    but that pitcher sure is large!
    I meant I didn't think the picture had been digitally faked (a small pitcher enlarged and inserted into the photo). The lighting matches, the shadows look right, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast