Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes import information

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To import Nepenthes into the US do I need anything more than my APHIS permit?
    Thanks Dennis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not unless they are CITES 1 listed (rajah and khnasia (sp?)). Then you have to get the $75 one but I don't know that they issue it for countries the plants grow native-ly in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The USDA will tell you to get the $70(is it $75 now) for any CITES material(I or II) which includes all Nepenthes. That is what the California USDA made me do.

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm planning on getting some Nepenthes imported from a nursery in Thailand to California. They have been nursery grown and the grower provides CITES and phytosanitary documents. Besides these, is there anything I need to do on my end? It's less than 12 plants that are not under appendix I. Do I need to get a CITES permit for the import?

Quote Originally Posted by The Griffin View Post
    The USDA will tell you to get the $70(is it $75 now) for any CITES material(I or II) which includes all Nepenthes. That is what the California USDA made me do.

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm planning on getting some Nepenthes imported from a nursery in Thailand to California. They have been nursery grown and the grower provides CITES and phytosanitary documents. Besides these, is there anything I need to do on my end? It's less than 12 plants that are not under appendix I. Do I need to get a CITES permit for the import?

Quote Originally Posted by The Griffin View Post

Joe

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The information the USDA provides on their website isn't clear (it says that many appendix II species are exempt but does not list which ones,) though I've had many people say that the CITES permit is required for Nepenthes. If you have any doubt just call up the main APHIS office and ask. I believe you want to talk to Karen Williams.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if it is different if you are directly bringing plants into the country but I have brought Nepenthes ampullaria and bicalcarata through customs at an airport with just a phytosanitary certificate and that was all I needed.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are carrying on in your airplane (and entering into the airport with the facility), you do not need the import permit for plants <= 12 as Tanukimo said. But if you are mailing, you need PPQ587 (free). If it's commercial (i.e. planning to sell), then you need the CITES import permit (PPQ621).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast