What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importance of good lighting

cprus

BANNED
As some may know, I have had my neps in their new setup for several months now as seen here http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....l=cprus
What's interesting is how they have changed for the better, happened more for my raff clone 99 than the others.

Before: 50 gallon tank with 26 watts
smile_h_32.gif

Raffleafgreen.jpg

Makes me sad
smile_h_32.gif

raffpitchergreen2.jpg

Even sadder
smile_h_32.gif

smile_h_32.gif

After: approx 200 gallon chamber with 112watts, about the same as the 50 gallon in terms of watts/gallon, but oh my look at the difference.
RAFFleaf.jpg

Now there's something to be proud of
smile.gif
Look at that shine!

Raffpitcherred.jpg

The newest one!

6143c7c1.jpg

One from last month.

So I don't understand why my plants show better growth when the watts per gallon ratio is about the same.

My amp also grew two basal shoots, almost time for some cuttings.
ampbasal.jpg

your plants show better growth with the same "watts per gallon" because watts per gallon is the most rediculous way of measuring light there is. The best way is to use PAR. While you have the same amount of "wpg", what your bassing this off of is a larger chmber with more lighting. The better lighting is more intense so thats why your plants are doing better.

PAR/ gallon is also fairly irrelevant in a scenario that is largely two dimensional.  In fact, the PAR/gallon on new tank is probably no different than the old tank. PAR/m^2 makes a lot more sense.  Not so easy to report as Watts/gallon, though, which is probably why W/G is so common.

That's a mighty nice looking raff. leaf!  My windowsill rafflesiana is actually doing better than the one in the grow chamber because in spite of low humidity, it has been receiving bright morning sun.  Now that i've increased the light on my 50 gallon back to 2x T8F32 tubes, though, the other one is catching up!
laugh.gif

A plant will act the same way with a particular wattage of light shining on it from a particular distance whether the enclosure is 10 gallons or 1000 gallons.

Back