Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grafting nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have experience of grafting Nepenthes? We've tried a few times and they live for a few weeks only and don't take. Perhaps there's some secret to it or maybe it just can't be done but I seem to recall having heard of it before. It would be great to get some species with "fussy" roots grafted onto some vigorous roots stock - e.g. N. lowii or N. rajah on to N. ventricosa would be nice!

Any ideas, suggestions or data drawn from experience would be welcome. I know this has been discussed before but was wondering if anyone new to the forum might have some ideas.

Thanks!
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know if you saw this recent thread:

http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=18191

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I had a duplicate post, but I didn't know how to eliminate it, only modify it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noooo....Do you mean they all died ???
    Marcello

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Cello,

They did all die, despite your loving care! They lived for quite some time so they were getting sustainance from the rootstock plants but just didn't take.

Anyway, in science, a null result tells a lot too.

Rob
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in my volunteering days at the Frederik Meijer Gardens I tried grafting N. wrigleyana and N. mirabilis. I made vertical cuts along the vines (removed about 80% of stem) and bound them together with grafting bands and hoped for the best, or at least not the worst. Theoretically, the plants were still dependent on their original roots.
    Those plants are still alive today, only separated. There was a mealybug problem (they liked the snugness between the two vines) and I had no choice but to separate them in the end. The cuts quickly healed (after a few months of being forcefully in contact with another) and the plants continued growing as though nothing ever happened. I won't give up! I'll be back there this June and will give it another shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good for you [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The title escapes me, but I've seen a great grafting book from a number of years ago that shows a mindboggling number of grafts. It's been a while since I last looked at it, but I remember being fascinated by the soft tissue grafts. Some required some pretty intricate carving and, according to the author, all that effort was necessary for some plants. I don't remember seeing anythin about Neps, but the moral of the story is to not give up too easily. If only it were easier to get material to practice with.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast