Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New nepenthes leaves turning black

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was asked as to why a Nep. that had been puchased from Krogers and had been doing well, would all of a sudden have its new leaves begin to blacken. It is grown indoors,in its original soil, in a hanging basket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New leaves turning black is a VERY BAD sign. Most likely cause, root rot. Most likely result, sudden death. The plant may have been kept too wet, or moist in cool conditions with not enough light.

I would be severely tempted to cut it up into pieces and try to salvage it from cuttings.

Hamish
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez, Krogers selling Neps, that to me sounds crazy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the nep is mine, and yeah kroger had it. when i got it it had a few pitchers and then they all died. i continued watching it and it was doing great. i had lots of new growth and now just this week the new leaves and the stalks the leaves are on started to turn brown. they aren't really turning black. but it's puzzling b/c some leaves are fine but some aren't. so i can cut a few pieces off and try to start a new plant? what should i plant it in? can i put it outside? (i live in tx) thanks for your help! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, cutting or simply repotting is a good idea here. Repot in a 2:1 ratio of Candian sphagnum peat moss/standard perlite. That's how I grow my N. ventricosa, and it's doing great. What kind of Nep is it? If it's ventricosa, which it probably is, it seems to me that Texas is too hot and maybe not humid enough for it. I know here in Florida in the summer it's way too hot for it. Do you have a glass fishtank it could sit in? Further instructions will follow.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey I learned in summer we have a standing (average) 92% humidity. Which is amazing because I could take my bical outside (out of it's terrarium) and not wilt at all. In fat it looks better now. Oh and back to the topic I would recommend making cuttings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you been watering with pure water?
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've been using distilled water and about a month ago right before this started my husband was trying to "help" and watered all my plants with tap water. if that's the cause will my plant be ok once it gets over that shock? my sarras died but i didn't even think of that when my leaves started turning. my stupidity i guess! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast