Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home depot nep "rescue"...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's it. i'm incurable!!!

i was looking through the plant section for some new pots for my cacti (i should know better than to do this by now, that's how this nonsense got started! ) and they had some baby nep's on sale... bone dry but they didn't look like they'd given up yet. so being the absolutely incurable CP freak i've become, i bought one that was a fairly dark green with few dead pitchers, doused it in distilled water (luckily i was on a water run anyway!), and snipped off the blackening pitchers when i got home. i just snipped the pitchers themselves, not the leaves. right now the setup is the same as my VFT's and Drosera pots: in stading distilled water, under bright flourescent light 15hrs/day. i know nep's like a bit more humidity so i was planning on misting it. is this OK? i'm assuming it's either an N. ventricosa or N. rafflesiana, which seem pretty common from TC. i'll post a closeup of the biggest pitcher when i get one to come out right

here it is:

the largest pitchers also have a faint red blush, if that helps. this plant looked like it had the most light of the lot.

thanx!
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm... something tells me that's not a ventricosa. *waits for other opinions*

EDIT: Nope, it's not. It just dawned on me that ventricosa pitchers swoop up on the outside of the leaf, not inward.

EDIT #2: And the banana shape isn't very ventricosa-like.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here's one of the pitchers... they also have little spiky hairs on the top in case you can't see them here.

"Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got this one at Lowes, 18 months ago and I thought it was a ventricosa, but everyone tells me it's an N. sanguinea. I thought mybe we had the same thing, but yours has more curvature. S maybe we can rule out N. sanguinea?[img]http://home.**********.com/users/jimscott/126.jpg[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, get it out of standing water! Second, don't worry about misting it. Third, I think it's a ventricosa despite what people are saying here.

Finally, good job on the rescue! One of my best, biggest nepenthes was a department store N. ventricosa that has now flowered for me twice (it's the plant on the right!):

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Capslock @ May 12 2005,6:07)]First, get it out of standing water! Second, don't worry about misting it.
    ok... lol that actually makes it easier to squeeze it under the light! how wet should it stay, though?

EDIT: duuuh need to start reading though entire posts... two plants in your pic, not one... i was wondering why it had two different pitchers.

i thought ventricosas had the more rounded, peanut-shaped pitchers though? unless they change as they get older? (heheh if i'm wrong just ignore me, complete nepenthes novice here)

btw, you guys all have some awesome looking plants!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tiny spikes are characteristic of young pitchers.

Could be N. ventricosa or perhaps N. Ventrata. Time will tell.. I am leaning more towards N. Ventrata because the tip of the leaf is fairly broad in relation to the base of the leaf.

Looks to be in good health. Just keep it moist but not saturated and nice bright light.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am bettign ventracosa.
    Capslock I love your potting metod (actually just your N. spathulata or hubrid with it).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast